The Random Musings of an Acoustic Guitar Fanatic

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TAMCO said:
    Well firstly let me apologise for giving the impression that I was promoting a store. That really wasn't my intention and I have edited out the name for future readers of this post. I am actually a customer of said store.

Well.... I for one am confused. If we look at your posts here

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1788305/#Comment_1788305

and here

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1788301/#Comment_1788301

and here

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1786293/#Comment_1786293

... you appear to be quite keen on promoting The Acoustic Music Company

Plus your avatar clearly includes a copyright statement for The Acoustic Music Company.

and here http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1776948/#Comment_1776948

... you say

"We agree that a mic plus under-saddle is a good solution.

www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk"

(who are 'we'???)

and earlier in the same thread you say...

"We've fitted the K&K Mini and other products from their line up and they are excellent.

On my personal guitars I have LR Baggs Anthems and I love them too.

www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk"

(again, who are 'we'??? and why include the web address of a shop at the end of your post?)

But you're just a customer of TAMCO????

Am I missing something?

I know TAMCO... it's got some great stock... but from the above posts, I'm confused.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    TimmyO said:
    jellyroll said:
    TimmyO said:
    I own (and utterly love) a Baranik - exactly the kind of thing that the OP is talking about.

It is mesmerisingly beautiful both to look at and to play.

But I'm still going to err on the side of the OP being pseudo-intellectual claptrap aimed at wooing customers over to more expensive gear. 

I also have a 20yo lamiate back-and-sides Aria dread - it's brash, boomy, and horrid for anything other than strong-armed strumming. It sounds great and solid when flatpicked for bluegrass. Much better for that than the Baranik. It has huge character. 

Words get thrown around too easily. And it's far too easy to buy your own marketing fluff. 

Character is about FAR more than things that are put there deliberately and expensively by a luthier. There's a reason the word characteristics exists - it's a property, not an outcome. 
    Calling out the OP on “marketing fluff” and then littering your response with anthropomorphasising BS about “character” = #potkettleblack

Don't be a dick. Read it again. I'm re-using his work to make the point. 
    What point is that? Why are you calling me a dick? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    This Is a bit more exciting than usual for the acoustic section. Not often you see folk getting their corduroys in a twist round these parts.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNine said:
    This Is a bit more exciting than usual for the acoustic section. Not often you see folk getting their corduroys in a twist round these parts.

LOL.

It's a totally new genre... acoustic aggro.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    jellyroll said:
    TimmyO said:
    jellyroll said:
    TimmyO said:
    I own (and utterly love) a Baranik - exactly the kind of thing that the OP is talking about.

But I'm still going to err on the side of the OP being pseudo-intellectual claptrap aimed at wooing customers over to more expensive gear. 

I also have a 20yo lamiate back-and-sides Aria dread - it's brash, boomy, and horrid for anything other than strong-armed strumming. It sounds great and solid when flatpicked for bluegrass. Much better for that than the Baranik. It has huge character. 

Words get thrown around too easily. And it's far too easy to buy your own marketing fluff. 

Character is about FAR more than things that are put there deliberately and expensively by a luthier. There's a reason the word characteristics exists - it's a property, not an outcome. 
    Calling out the OP on “marketing fluff” and then littering your response with anthropomorphasising BS about “character” = #potkettleblack

apologies - bad mood alert - not an excuse I know 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    TimmyO said:
    jellyroll said:
    TimmyO said:
    jellyroll said:
    TimmyO said:

apologies - bad mood alert - not an excuse I know 
    No worries. My point came out more harshly than I intended too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    quite uncharacteristic guys - chill.
    All we need is another uk American retail shop to chime in.
  • RJTRJT Frets: 1
    I own a number of high-end acoustics (I'm afraid I am selling some of these as I now need the space). I find I get attached to guitars, but only if they sound nice and play well. I don't really think about whether they've been made on a computer-controlled machine on a mass-production line (eg my Taylor, Collings), or in a smaller workshop environment (eg my Santa Cruz). (I don't have any one-person luthier guitars).
    All guitar manufacturers have their place. If Taylor and Martin stopped making guitars there would be a world shortage of quality guitars. However the one-person luthier will always be in demand from players who want something different.
    For me the problem of commissioning a guitar from a luthier is the same one @TAMCO ;has, namely, when it arrives you may not like it! (even if it was the same model as one you tried). I cannot afford to commission very expensive guitars without having to worry about any financial impact - unless I win the lottery, which is unlikely as I don't do it. (In fact I don't think I have any significantly less of a chance than if I did do it). Buying secondhand is a way round this, as @TAMCO does, although every guitar has to be bought new first.
    Anyway, vive la difference, and make sure you appreciate what you've got.