Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

EVEN MORE Gibson Custom Weirdness

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2613
edited February 2018 in Guitar tFB Trader

Ok I know I should just stop looking, its probably not good for me..  But watching this really is like a car crash, I just cant help myself

And who the hell is coming up with these stupid names? The Custom Boogie Van??  hahahaha

The 1959 335 Rose Tattoo $7,299

Hand-drawn tattoo flash and a worn-in classic vibe make this 1959-spec ES-335 a playable, fun work of art. The two-tone transparent gray and black finish sets off the beautiful red rose, and no two are alike. Under the hood, this of this well-loved rockabilly rocker features all the Historic 1959 construction and specs to make it feel, play, and sound as authentic and vibey as it looks!
https://i.imgur.com/1JURlnu.jpg

The Les Paul Junior Mosaic $4,199

This piece of musical marquetry features over a dozen hand-cut wedges of solid mahogany formed into the body of a Les Paul Junior, aligning perfectly into a central point beneath the bridge pickup. The utilitaran design and understated transparent lacquer finish beautifully plays off the complex woodwork of the body, making for a Les Paul that is as much a statement piece as it is a pro-level instrument.
https://i.imgur.com/i3FZlNp.jpg

Les Paul Custom Boogie Van $4,999

In the late 1970s, the Custom Van craze defined automotive culture in the same way the Gibson Les Paul Custom defined the sound of rock music. And both the Street Vans and the Les Pauls of the 1970s have seen a resurgence in popularity over the past few years, prompting this fun mash-up -- the Les Paul Custom "Boogie Van." Each guitar features unique three-tone paint schemes, custom chrome hardware, a 1970s-style three piece maple neck, underwound Super '74 humbuckers, and a hot-stamped truss rod cover with "Boogie Van" artwork.
https://i.imgur.com/Z8Xeuew.jpg
[https://i.imgur.com/6owtb7I.jpg

Modern Standard Trans Metal $4,799

This limited run Modern Les Paul Standard comes after the success of the core colors of this new Custom Shop platform, which features an Apex headstock for improved stability and a fully-chambered body, keeping the guitar balanced, resonant and extremely lightweight. The artful transparent metallic finish toes the line between classic appeal and high-fashion edge. The playing experience is the biggest thrill of all, as each guitar's long neck tenon and all solid-wood construction provide sustain and buttery warm tones like only a Custom Shop instrument can provide.
https://i.imgur.com/2FkbXWL.jpg

Les Paul Custom Ice Flame $8,199

This show-stopping Les Paul Custom looks like something created by middle-earth magic! Alas, it emerged from painstaking handiwork and meticulous attention to detail by Custom Shop craftsmen and craftswomen that produced this beautiful and playable art piece. It features an ornately inlaid Ebony fingerboard, premium figured maple top and an unforgettable, icy finish that will give you chills.
https://i.imgur.com/BCkJfsP.jpg

Modern Archtop  $4,999

Taking cues from classic Gibson archtops made nearly a century ago, this unique full-scale archtop uses modern construction elements while retaining a full, classic voice. It features a completely new, sleek design, a solid carved 15"-wide mahogany body, a tapered Apex headstock, and a carved spruce top with built-in braces. It is extremely resonant, lightweight and versatile and comes in two sophisticated color options. Don't miss this modern masterpiece!
https://i.imgur.com/l08C46d.jpg

SG Standard Bohemian $4,199

The SG Standard Bohemian represents everything you want in a great Gibson Custom Shop SG and nothing you don't! It features historic solid-wood construction, Grover tuners, five gorgeous transparent finish options and a set of nuanced, underwound Super '74 humbuckers. Ready to rock. Ready to roll. Ready for a lifetime of playing fun.
https://i.imgur.com/e6kShE5.jpg

SG Flying Eagle $8,299

This highly-customized boutique-style SG draws inspiration from the beautiful Gibson banjo inlays used a century ago, specifically the "Flying Eagle" pattern. It also makes use of the bevy of elegent exotic woods sourced by Gibson Custom Shop, including a gorgeous figured Koa top, a five-piece figured maple/walnut neck and a solid dark Ebony fingerboard. Three powerful uncovered Custombuckers complete the look and add all the sonic versatility and punch needed to pair with the treasured solid tonewoods used.
https://i.imgur.com/GpxhYrO.jpg

Modern Flying V $4,499

With a space-age design, custom-plated metal appointments and a shimmering prism-sparkle finish, the limited-edition Modern Flying V from Gibson Custom Shop is a Sci-Fi shredder sure to turn heads. Inspired by the famous 1967 Gibson Flying V, this version features a contoured maple top, Apex headstock carve, counter-sunk output jack and color-matched hardware. Each guitar is made from lightweight solid woods and includes a custom-fit rectangular hardshell case and a Gibson Custom Certificate of Authenticity.
https://i.imgur.com/2ZN0epW.jpg

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I like the modern arch top and the bohemian SG. The rest, not so much. They’re not all bad though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    It’s like watching a bird in the garden after the cat has got it - flapping around.. you feel ike you want to put it out of its misery...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16782
    Good.  The custom shop is making custom guitars... not just historic reissues
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    The Ice Flame looks like the old Justin Hawkins sig model.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1960
    I kind of like the Les Paul Junior Mosaic...But not much.

They're all shit on a stick at those prices.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s like watching a bird in the garden after the cat has got it - flapping around.. you feel ike you want to put it out of its misery.
    Just about sums it up a 4k for a junior made out of the scrap bin, The rose tattoo could of worked if it had a decent relic or ageing rather than sticking the sander on it. That and the use of buttery from a proffesional marketing department is as Bridgehouse said like watching the bird in its final torment, shit and feathers everywhere. 
  • No.1 ,4 and 7 are OK the Van one just looks wank
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    The modern arch top is ace, the rest are truly minging.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    WezV said:
    On the one hand, I agree.

On the other... the Boogie Van... the Rose Tattoo thing:

https://ethicsalarms.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/jumping-the-shark.jpg
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14375
    tFB Trader
    it is like going to a lap dance bar and finding it full of Russian female shot putters performing and wearing very little
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30317
    The Mosaic's not bad.
    It's an imaginative and practical use of all those pesky mahogany off-cuts.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I’m sticking by “this smacks of desperation”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    The one I like the most is the SG Bohemian, and that's because it just looks like an SG with no novelty bullshit on it. But it has a stupid name. And if I wanted something like that, I'd save about three grand and just buy a used VOS.

So out of the self-consciously "new" reinventing-the-wheel bullshit, I'd probably have the Mosaic. The slightly Alembic-esque vibe of the three pickup SG is cool as well. I must admit the Boogie Van thing is growing on me.

That Rose Tattoo 335 is just ridiculous though. Pretty much the least imagination they can get away with... apart from the Les Paul "Trans Metal" which just makes me sad.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16782
    Bucket said:
    WezV said:
    On the one hand, I agree.

On the other... the Boogie Van... the Rose Tattoo thing:

https://ethicsalarms.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/jumping-the-shark.jpg
    Not saying I would buy them.

i quite like the boogie van.

i read the description of the tattoo one and expected something in Ivory, to really show the flash off to it’s best.  I expected a coherent theme and was dissapointed

modern archtop.  Soundholes are poorly defined and it’s surprisingly cheap for what it should be.

Junior.  Style over substance.  Do it as a top and I would be all over it... as a full thickness body it’s just daft

i still think this is the stuff the custom shop should be doing. Not the stuff everyone wants but the stuff that shows what they can do
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2613
    edited February 2018 tFB Trader
    WezV said:

i still think this is the stuff the custom shop should be doing. Not the stuff everyone wants but the stuff that shows what they can do

This is the thing.. I agree they are a Custom shop so should be doing different things and obviously guitars like these are only ever going to appeal to a certain taste AND they are not all year round production runs so there wont be many...

BUT when I put it all together..  The stupid names (which I know is neither here nor there, just laughable), the frikken crazy prices (but then I expect that now) and the most horrible nonsense marketing bullshit... It just turns me right off as a whole... And frikken 8 grand for an SG.. That's just crazy, I don't care what wood its made from or how ever fancy the inlays are.. Its just a totally unjustifiable price..

YET, I bet they will sell all of them..  Go figure? 

And that's why I say its like a car crash.. I know that im probably not going to like what I see and get slightly annoyed by the prices of them..  Yet I cant help but look .. maybe something is wrong with me?  :)

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    There's a lot to like about them imho, but plenty to dislike too. The prices are mental, but if they sell then Gibson got it right. They're in business to make money, after all.

I really like the Junior Mosaic, and the Ice Flame would be amazing if it had more subdued fretboard.  

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1960
    If you took the covers off the humbuckers on the boogie van, it would look cool in white/red/black, but all the other colour combos are lacking.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Just for a moment, imagine the name of each guitar began with "Gibson Midtown..." and the price for each was $1499. Suddenly they would be far more popular....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Prices aside, I like most of them!
  • Hmmmmm... 3(4?) used R7's or an SG?