Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4197
    That is very neat indeed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3072
    Interesting idea but it is restricted to guitars with separate top?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72597
    That’s neat - but not that new, it’s essentially how Rickenbacker fit their necks, except that they glue them in and don’t use the wedge idea (which is very clever, I will admit). It will definitely need a separate top, I don’t think there’s any practical way of machining the slot in a single-piece body.

Comments on the headstock shape? Probably the worst ever put on a guitar, it’s the ultimate combination of bland and ugly. And EBMM will sue over it anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    I like the wedge idea, I've thought about putting the tenon under the cap before, it would look good with just a bridge pickup when you want a long tenon 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28665
    ICBM said:

Comments on the headstock shape? Probably the worst ever put on a guitar, it’s the ultimate combination of bland and ugly. And EBMM will sue over it anyway.
    It's crap, but it's not even bottom 10%.

After all, it's got straight string pull and enough space between the tuners to use them. That's a good start.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:

It's crap, but it's not even bottom 10%.

After all, it's got straight string pull and enough space between the tuners to use them. That's a good start.
    But how do you actually turn the B string key? Which I've just noticed... :)

And it is truly horrible - it's not even hideous enough to be interesting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16776
    edited February 2018
    i did a few of super long tenon's about 8-10 years ago, glued in of course although i like the idea for the wedge

I still have one in the pile i keep thinking about doing something with.   

the body has already been reshaped twice since then

today it looks like this.  you can just about make out the end of the neck in the badly cut pickup cavity

I think its ugly as sin, but i shouldreally just cut a headstock and get some bloody parts on it
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    If you are going to use a wedge method, why not use one of the Japanese locking type?
    WezV said:

today it looks like this.  you can just about make out the end of the neck in the badly cut pickup cavity

I think its ugly as sin, but i shouldreally just cut a headstock and get some bloody parts on it
    I quite like the look of that! Kind of like a cross between a double-cut Gretsch Jet and a PRS, which is a very unlikely combination but seems to work.

No I don't want it :). (Would need a trem, for me.)

It needs a Gretsch-style narrow 'snake' head, I think.

Chalky said:
    If you are going to use a wedge method, why not use one of the Japanese locking type?
    I think I remember seeing an example of that on a guitar somewhere
    here you go.  Scott Walker

http://scottwalkerguitars.com/

tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    i did a few of super long tenon's about 8-10 years ago, glued in of course although i like the idea for the wedge

I still have one in the pile i keep thinking about doing something with.   

the body has already been reshaped twice since then

It's the upper horn that doesn't work for me, I'd look at cutting it off and reshape for some kind of single cut or reshape the horns, you'll have to get it done now
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    It’s certainly not getting a 3rd reshape.... but I do think I can do enough with the carve to make it look a bit more intentional.

Its on the list now, but may end up put away again for another 4 years.

tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    It’s certainly not getting a 3rd reshape.... but I do think I can do enough with the carve to make it look a bit more intentional.

Its on the list now, but may end up put away again for another 4 years.

I've got a few to revisit so know how you feel, making from scratch is easier
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2612
    tFB Trader

Ive done a few long full neck tenons before too..  Take it right back to the bridge pickup hole

https://i.imgur.com/J8Y5Y4p.jpg