Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Delay - What do I want?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• For you, Boss DD series. If you want to have fun, go for the DD-500.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For you, Boss DD series. If you want to have fun, go for the DD-500.

While I agree that it's a lot of fun, the DD-500 is complex, expensive and requires a pretty big investment of time and effort to get the most from it. 

None of which is necessarily a reason not to buy one, but for £300 it pays to go in with your eyes open.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Way Huge Supa Puss.....
    Do you know if anyone is selling one of these per chance? :-p
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    I don't use delay very often but when I do it's the Hardwire DL-8.
    Simple to use and sounds very good.
  • @meltedbuzzbox now you come.to mention it.......
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5192
    I’m loving my Chrono Delay still, which for me is very good going, so it must be ace :)
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3484
    edited February 2018
    For what you’ve described, nothing comes close to the DIG. I’ve owned 3 and would have another again if I could.

And you’d be surprised at what it does add to your sound. It’s a hard pedal to replicate with my current setup, though I’ve got close.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • A massive thanks for all the replies here.

I drove to Peach and played loads this afternoon. I ended up with an El Capistan. Although it's not as transparent as the DIG, it still remains clear and sounds fantastic. I think I found all of the demos a bit outputting - I'm not after a heavily degraded sound and wouldn't use it for that purpose. 

Another pedal of note if you like spring reverb is the Keeley 'Caverns' - spring and delay with modulation for £169.

KebabkidKebabkid said:

All good with me thanks.  Been doing some recording and dep gigs. Any luck in your search for a Mega Strat?
    How you doing J and great taste in guitarists there

I'm surprised by the Flashback and agree with a comment here that it can be edited and just lower your level

Boss DD-500 will give you a lot and the Hardwire is a great delay for the money

Take a look at the Providence Chrono Delay. You get a choice of 2 delays via the footswitch and it's a small footprint.
    You have a choice of tapping in the delay and a BPM or a milliseconds read out. The Mix selector and Echo Hardness controls are very useful for balancing how prominent or soft you want the delay to be. If interested, just note that the power supply is 12v DC (coaxial connection - negative pole inside, included) but Power Consumption is relatively low at 110 mA

I can also recommend the Diamond Memory Lane Jr for delay that adds something really nice but doesn't get in the way.

Other than that, a good Ducking Delay setting might be what you need.

All the best with your search and let us know what you settle on

• Ah yes, I was going to suggest the el cap, good choice :) 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2923
    A humble old DD7 will do the trick for cheap. It sounds like a delay and had a few different modes though mine pretty much lives on the analog mode.

• I love cheesy 80's delays. The stadium thing, and guys like Dann Huff and Mike Landau, Steve Rothery, Steve Lukather, John Norum, Neal Schon, Michael Lee Firkins and SO many more.

I have no inclination or use for washed out sounds and will never try to emulate The Edge or Jonny Greenwood etc. 

For what you’ve described, nothing comes close to the DIG.

I drove to Peach and played loads this afternoon. I ended up with an El Capistan. 

Just goes to show that it pays to use your ears, not the marketing guff. The DIG is the Strymon pedal that's supposed to sound like all the players @guitarmanessex89 mentioned, but the tone he wanted was in the "wrong" pedal.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• I love cheesy 80's delays. The stadium thing, and guys like Dann Huff and Mike Landau, Steve Rothery, Steve Lukather, John Norum, Neal Schon, Michael Lee Firkins and SO many more.

I have no inclination or use for washed out sounds and will never try to emulate The Edge or Jonny Greenwood etc. 

For what you’ve described, nothing comes close to the DIG.

I drove to Peach and played loads this afternoon. I ended up with an El Capistan. 

Just goes to show that it pays to use your ears, not the marketing guff. The DIG is the Strymon pedal that's supposed to sound like all the players @guitarmanessex89 mentioned, but the tone he wanted was in the "wrong" pedal.

I’m not sure that’s the point to be honest, the DIG absolutely delivers far and above what the marketing guff says it does. Maybe the El Cap was the tone he really wanted but couldn’t describe, or maybe the El Cap can cop those tones too, I’ve never tried - I like it for mushy delays. The El Cap is awesome, but I’m not sure which of the two is more versatile. I’d use them both for different things, but that’s me. Given the choice, I’m not sure which I’d choose either. I’d have both!!! :-)

OP what made you gravitate toward the El Cap in the end? Good choice btw!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • The El Cap is great when you'r using it without going overboard on tape age and flutter and delay. Just has it's own magic to the basic tone which compliments clean and dirty sounds. I'd love a DIG, too. Perhaps when funds permit. Great pedals.