Let's get this off to a good start!

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
edited July 2016 in Bass

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17622
    tFB Trader
    It's straight links or HTML rather than BBCode on here.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28271
    :D

As soon as I saw the discussion title I knew what'd be in it.

I feel obliged to  post this in response.

http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/stingray.jpg
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17622
    tFB Trader
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    It's straight links or HTML rather than BBCode on here.
    Ta!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Do we have to comment on beat 1 or 4? :-?
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10457
    edited August 2013 tFB Trader
    Love the Rick ICBM ... as you will see from the foot of my 'Pickups' post I just did a rewind for one of dem-dare-tings recently. The pickups on the new ones are really poorly built compared to the old ones ... sound good ... but a bit of corner cutting seems to have been going on.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    edited August 2013
    Love the Rick ICBM ... as you will see from the foot of my 'Pickups' post I just did a rewind for one of dem-dare-tings recently. The pickups on the new ones are really poorly built compared to the old ones ... sound good ... but a bit of corner cutting seems to have been going on.
    I agree. I still find it incomprehensible that on such a professional quality instrument, there is no form of hum cancelling either - its almost the only bass you can buy apart from the '51 P-Bass reissue with none. The last one I had was a modern 4003, and I flipped the magnet on the bridge pickup and rewired it to give RWRP. That works well, but obviously only on the middle position and with both pickups at the same volume.

This one I acquired in a very poor state with all the wrong electrics, so I decided to upgrade it at the same time as fixing it. The neck pickup is a 1980s Rickenbacker HB2 humbucker wired in parallel to give about a 3.5K total impedance, and sounds similar to a Rick Toaster pickup. The bridge pickup is a lucky find - an old Kent Armstrong ceramic-mag humbucker from the neck position of an Eggle Broadway guitar! It's also about 7K and was physically a perfect fit in the 4001 cavity... I had to drill the baseplate but that had already been done for the Bartolini J-Bass pickup bodge that was in it before, so not an issue for me. It sounds fantastic and is almost hum-free - which matters a lot for me, since I usually use overdriven or fuzz sounds.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10457
    tFB Trader
    Fancy a Rick again myself ... I really only 'thump the tool of ignorance' for recording these days, but always loved the feel. I took loads of measurements on the last rewind, so the Oily demo bass (a dodgy P Bass copy) will probably sport some sort of Rick influenced pickups at some point in the near future.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• rprrpr Frets: 310
    edited August 2013
    Here's mine- 80's Jap Vox. so heavy it has its own gravitation pull, neck like a tree trunk.could possibly be classed as a dangerous weapon in the right (wrong) hands. Old Dimarzio P bass pickup, strings must be  15+ year old. I love it! 

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

My old warhorse from 1972/73.  Had all its original and useless pickup split / series / parallel circuits removed; extremely versatile bass with just two volume a master tone and a three-way switch.  Hipshot bridge makes a huge difference to tone and sustain versus the original Gibson 3 point.  Remarkably light for all maple at 8lb 3oz.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LorneLorne Frets: 3

Already put in the guitar secion, but here it goes here too

Basses - USA BC Rich, Euro Spector, Yamaha and Kramer

Guitars - USA BC Rich and Shadow

• LorneLorne Frets: 3

And (missing from pictures is my Ironbird, which My luthier must like more than I do, he's had it about 3 YEARS)image

Basses - USA BC Rich, Euro Spector, Yamaha and Kramer

Guitars - USA BC Rich and Shadow

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27013
    edited August 2013
    Jaaazzzz....Nice.

And under £100!! 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    imageimage
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
    Very nice Gordon......but what is it?????

ESchap said:

My old warhorse from 1972/73.  Had all its original and useless pickup split / series / parallel circuits removed; extremely versatile bass with just two volume a master tone and a three-way switch.  Hipshot bridge makes a huge difference to tone and sustain versus the original Gibson 3 point.  Remarkably light for all maple at 8lb 3oz.

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Hi Guy, good to see you on here,  It's and L9-S "Ripper". 
    Likewise Gordon!

I wondered if it was a Ripper, for some reason the body looked a little different.  Is it quite neck heavy?  Just wondering as my old EB-3 was slightly neck heavy and it has a maple neck like the Ripper

edited August 2013
    Don't seem to be able to load a photo as I normally would from Image Shack?  Used the 'embed an image'  (for forums) link, which is what I normally use, but when I post it the photo doesn't load, only the link.  Hmmmmm........?
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    Had the same problem using Photobucket, try pasting the direct link- seems to have worked for me.