Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why would anyone buy a 'famous player endorsed model' guitar?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Fretwired said:
    The only one I'd think I'd buy would be a Clapton Strat .. but then it's cheap to fit the boost circuit which is the only reason I'd buy one. I have a Yamaha Mike Stern which I bought years ago having tried one - I'd have to say I bought it (from a forumite on Music Radar) because I liked the guitar rather than it being a signature guitar.
    I love the original Lace sensor Clapton Strat. It is a guitar I'd refret with 6100's immediately though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    ellwood said:
    I bought a John Mayer Strat because it probably means Jennifer Anniston and/or Katy Perry will be along at any moment to rip my pants off*. Possibly both at the same time. Am still waiting, but seemed worth a punt at the time....

*and also because of all the strats I have played it is one my favourites. And I like the Big dipper pickups. And I like a lot of his stuff.

And it has a really cool gig bag.
    Wow! I didn't know signature guitars came with these extra benefits. This has really put me off buying an Avril Lavigne telecaster though.
    It remains merely a hypothesis at this time.

But I live in hope...
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    The most irritating signatures are the Epiphones endorsed by Slash and Jobo when they have never played them in anger. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Wolfetone said:
    The most irritating signatures are the Epiphones endorsed by Slash and Jobo when they have never played them in anger. 

Don't mind them if they can give a fan an affordable guitar they love to be honest, fender have done this with a few squier Sig models too.

To answer the original question in the thread, I have a vermilion Les Paul (Gibson one) I love Les pauls, this one is non standard colour with a nice top and great pickups for the price of a regular Les Paul.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28268
    I did once buy nearly 300 of the same signature guitar in the hope that each one would have a little of the endorser's soul, and burning the lot would result in great torment for him.

Sadly turned out not to be true.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    I bought a "William Shakespeare" quill. Turns out the goose from whence it came, sirrah was a direct descendant of one the geese that ran around the Bard's very dwelling, foresooth. It changed my writing style forthwith and now m'lud, I perceive that something is Johnny Rotten in the state of Denmark Street. Prince Tubby or not Prince Tubby? Fats (Domino) is the question. 

Good specs shall a good guitar make, good morrow to the day. I'faith. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited February 2018
    Gassage said:
    I actually just realised my Gretsch is a sig- Elliott Easton, but I bought it cos it's a lovely colour (Cadillac Green).

That is the best Gretsch model I've ever played.

The DGT is the best PRS I've tried.

The Johnny A sig is the best Gibson I've ever played.

Yamaha Mike Stern - best guitar they make by a country mile!

...and the Ibanez GB12 I used to have was by far the nicest instrument (of any description) I'm ever likely to own...

...but my absolute first choice go-to guitar for more than ten years now has been a bog-standard Fender Stratosonic - no mods, no-one else's name on it, other than Leo's ...so, no, I don't think someone's name on the headstock makes a lot of difference. In fact, the one guitar I did try simply because of the endorsee (an Allan Holdsworth Carvin Fatboy), I didn't like at all.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    if it was a good guitar?  I've had a johnny marr jag but foolishly sold it.  my bandmate has a warren haynes 61 335 and its a great guitar -i don't think he'd heard of the man but does it matter if it sounds good and plays good?
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    id like to try an ed o brien strat out