Guitar Guitar - Trade it/Sell it

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I traded in my CS Strat against a Lowden with Guitar Guitar. 

I got a decent offer on my Strat, and money off the Lowden. Someone who worked there took the Strat for himself, so not sure if that accounted for the better experience. 

As as has been said, I got a very quick deal, and the guitar I wanted. I didn’t get as much as I could have for a private sale but after advertising it for a month I had no offers. 

Of course the week after I traded it I got an offer but hey ho. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited February 2018
    Chalky said:
    DanR said:
    If shops don't make money they close.

The more that close the less choice we have and the less competition they have.

That ultimately isn't good for us as consumers.
    Bollocks. Google any popular guitar and you'll see the same price everywhere in the UK. That aint competition.
    We're talking second hand items in this thread, not new items, so this comment is superfluous.

So for secondhand items, yes, there is competition. And that's to attract the punters with attractive prices, so as to sell those used items (and create the opportunity to upsell to a new guitar/ pedal/ amp) and thus keep the business afloat.

No, I'm not in retail. But seriously, how can some people not understand that shops need to make money to pay staff, rent, running costs, advertising, accounting fees, etc etc etc?

No one is forcing anyone to buy/sell from a shop. But it's what shop/businesses do, natch, buy, sell, rinse, repeat to make money (and sometimes provide a service). How many times does this need to be said before it gets through peoples skulls? Plenty more, judging by some of the ignorance expressed on this forum.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Gave them and richtone a try on my Fender Supersonic head I’m looking to shift. Richtone just emailed and apparently they can only sell it for £400? So would give me £266 for it. Plenty of them on eBay for £600 and over so I’d say a shop would be looking to sell for £750 at least. Not quite sure what they’ve been smoking!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5422
    edited February 2018
    Gave them and richtone a try on my Fender Supersonic head I’m looking to shift. Richtone just emailed and apparently they can only sell it for £400? So would give me £266 for it. Plenty of them on eBay for £600 and over so I’d say a shop would be looking to sell for £750 at least. Not quite sure what they’ve been smoking!
    Shops get it wrong sometimes. But sometimes I think they get it intentionally wrong because they just don’t want what you have, so they’ll take it on a lowball in order to flip it fast. 

A while back I inquired with Andertons about trading in a digital piano on higher-end model... they have a really transparent “if we think we can sell it for x you get y formula” - they offered me £100 with the expectation of shifting it at £150. The next day I sold it in a Facebook group for £260 - which meant that a dealer could have probably got north of £300. But they just don’t want to sometimes. Space, effort, etc...
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3203
    edited February 2018
    I have honestly always expected a guitar shop to offer around half of what they can sell a guitar for in trade in. I’m amazed anyone is offended by them doing that -they’re a business with overheads.

Want more for it? Then pop it on here and sell it for less than the gumtree price but more than the trade in value is my mantra. That way I win, the buyer wins and the fb community wins, because it stays circulating this circle. 

As for guitar guitar, I have always had excellent service and have had several cracking deals from them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    DanR said:
    humbucko said:
    GuitarGuitar offered me £650 to £700 for my 2017 Fender AVRI 52 Telecaster (with one ding), bought new for £1500 or so a few months before.

Really can't see why anyone would take that up but people clearly do as they have plenty of used stuff for sale.
    I don't see what's wrong with that as valuation.

It needs to show a saving against a new one so let' imagine it goes up for £1100

Joe punter walks in, says it's got a offers £1000 and they settle on £1050.

GG make £350 of which £70 goes to the treasury so they make £280.

Not exactly a huge amount of profit considering it might pay 4 members of staff pay for the day.
    I agree, I'm not disputing their valuation, just surprised that so many people take their offers up seeing as you can get a shit load more for very little effort privately.
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2863
    edited February 2018
    Buying and selling secondhand goods through retail takes me back years.
    I launched a none guitar related trade in process for a retailer, where we were buying old stuff from £1 to £25.
    Rule of thumb was we gave great prices on stuff we could shift quick but if we new it was old and or would take an age to shift you would offer a straight £1 or £2. More out of courtesy than turning someone away and it let's them get rid of stuff they don't want. 
    Basic retail really. 
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited February 2018
    FWIW I asked Guitar Guitar about a VGC guitar I bought from them a year ago and have in classifieds here. The offer was pretty much as DanR suggested a couple of posts up.  I assume it's a standard formula.

I've no problem with it, and they're completely up front that I'll likely get more holding out for a private sale. I do wish though I'd been wiser on the numbers and depreciation when I bought it. (I got carried away a bit in the shop - I wouldn't buy new again unless I was 100% it was a long term keeper).

The trade in value (50% of current RRP) is tempting but there's nothing new I want and am willing to take a second depreciation hit on.

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    edited February 2018
    Not sure about GG, but Anderton's are pretty open about what they'll give you on a trade in (they only do part ex, not cash buys though): 

"We have a very open and honest approach to part exchanges.  We will value the item at what we think we can sell it for, and we will offer the customer a fair amount based on that valuation.

If we value your item at under £100 we will offer you 1/2 of the valuation.

If we value your item between £100 and £1500 we will offer you 2/3 of the valuation.

If we value your item at over £1500 we will offer you 3/4 of the valuation.

E.g. if we think something is worth £300 to sell, we?ll offer £200 to you on a part exchange."

EDIT - sorry, just noticed Whitecat said exactly this just above.. 

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    i have sent a request through will be intriqued to see how much they offer
    me too.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited February 2018
    Out of curiosity I asked how much they would give me for my USA 2001 PRS Std 22 Moon. I value the guitar on Gumtree at about £750.

They came back with this real low-ball bid of £400. 

https://imgur.com/FnSnppB

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Wolfetone said:
    Out of curiosity I asked how much they would give me for my USA 2001 PRS Std 22 Moon. I value the guitar on Gumtree at about £750.

They came back with this real low-ball bid of £400. 

https://imgur.com/FnSnppB

One of those bedroom seller demons would pay more than that!
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    about half what they think they can sell if for is normal I think.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I was offered £1100 px for a guitar at GuitarGuitar which World Guitars offered £2000 and Sound Affects offered £2100. All against a similarly priced new guitar.

Maybe they don't really want to buy in at the moment.
  • I think they just wait to find people prepared to accept their shockingly low offers personally, and based on that i wont spend a penny with them...there is no need for it especially as Coda etc manage to be so much more favourable.  In fact the discrepancy is so large you could wonder if it was almost a rip off
  • Id like to be a bedroom seller but i think my Mrs would object to all these people coming round to our bedroom at 1 in the morning to ty out guitars
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom