NGD...and MGD

What's Hot
ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
edited February 2018 in Guitar
New Guitar day...and modded guitar

First off is the new arrival. I blame @John_A for this pretty much entirely. His search for a Faded sparked up revisiting how good my previous one was. Gas Station advertised one with plenty of wear....and I like that kind of thing. So I made a bid, did a deal...and hey presto:

Fantastic top, and a gorgeous satin feel neck. At the moment it's all stock - and the plan was to stick in a set of Oil City Tube Snakes, and replace the hardware with aged Faber kit. Which may or may not happen. Because it's pretty darn good as it is...

I've also been messing about with an 83 Greco I have. This is a 59-65. It's a cracking Les Paul - with a brilliant neck. However, I only kinda liked the aesthetics.

I saw a blacked out Standard online and started thinking. Fitted black pickup rings, ditched the poker chip and put on an old Faber tailpiece I had. I did remove the cover on the bridge, but the stock Screamin 82 underneath is a double white - not the double black I was hoping for. Time for some pickup shopping...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ellwood said:
    New Guitar day...and modded guitar :)

First off is the new arrival. I blame thank @John_A for this pretty much entirely. His search for a Faded sparked up revisiting how good my previous one was. Gas Station advertised one with plenty of wear....and I like that kind of thing. So I made a bid, did a deal...and hey presto:

Edited for correctness, and well done, she's a beaut - Nearly went for that one myself.

Faber kit ordered for mine, a pickups swapped out for some Deacci P2's which are wonderful
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8796
    Oof. That Faded...

HNGD
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Both lovely guitars. Personally, I’d leave the Gibson alone - certainly with regard looks. Obviously I don’t know how it plays or what it sounds like. (Though I can guess and I bet it’s pretty darn good.)
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Nice one on that Faded.

I love the way Gibson originally pitched these as an economy model and then they turn out to be the shiz.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    That Gibbo looks gorgeous ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Loving the faded mate, that’s wicked! 
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Fretwired said:
    That Gibbo looks gorgeous ...
    Sounds pretty damn good too!

Loving the faded mate, that’s wicked! 
    thanks mate - another one for you to come have a go with!
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4882
    Whoa!! That faded is gorgeous, HNGD! You play or jam in any bands in the Hinckley area @ellwood

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Boromedic said:
    Whoa!! That faded is gorgeous, HNGD! You play or jam in any bands in the Hinckley area @ellwood
    I don’t unfortunately mate. I travel a lot for work which makes bands difficult - and don’t really know many people in the area
    edited February 2018
    No bother, I just wondered as I'm hopefully moving back to Leicestershire late this year. Probably Ibstock way as my wife is from near there, obvs not too far from Hinckley. Looking at getting back to gigging again hopefully. Been out of the loop for a while so need to see whats out there. Life and work does a good job of stopping us doing our fave things though! 

Boromedic said:
    No bother, I just wondered as I'm hopefully moving back to Leicestershire late this year. Probably Ibstock way as my wife is from near there, obvs not too far from Hinckley. Looking at getting back to gigging again hopefully. Been out of the loop for a while so need to see whats out there. Life and work does a good job of stopping us doing our fave things though! 
    Cool. Let me know when you are around and you are more than welcome to drop over to the man cave!
    Cheers fella, really appreciate the invite although I'm wary I might contract further GAS!! Once I'm back I'll drop you a message and go from there, desperate to get back to playing more often again. 

Boromedic said:
    Cheers fella, really appreciate the invite although I'm wary I might contract further GAS!! Once I'm back I'll drop you a message and go from there, desperate to get back to playing more often again. 
    I think I am pretty much there, so you should be safe from excess GAS. But I can’t promise anything....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2018
    Hahaha, hopefully mate! It does seem never ending at times.... I'm the same.

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited February 2018
    good for you Ellwood, I had a (corner of) an eye on that Faded too. I agree re wear.

I do see an early Faded in my future.
    edited February 2018
    Tweaked them both a bit more yesterday. The Faded now wears Bare Knuckles (thanks to @John_A ). Mule in the neck, and a Stormy Monday in the bridge. Took the cover off the bridge purely because I like that aesthetic. Faber kit to follow..

As to be expected really, the pickups are a step above the stock items. The Mule has a lovely creamy edge to it (but I've wiped it clean now) and the Stormy has a nice open brightness that works with a pedal really well. 

The Greco got even more black, with a set of Seymour Duncan double blacks. Really suit the guitar both sonically (HUGE improvement over the stock Screamin 82s) and lookswise. 

Job jobbed.

Have a set of Oil City TubeSnakes on order...so need to work out what to fit them into.

And when I was finished messing about with the soldering iron I did this...

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    That's obscene!  I'm coming round :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Amazing!! Wow awarded