Idea of price required rare strat content.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Whitecat said:
    In all honesty this forum rarely feels like a fair rep of “the market...”

Certainly 'a' market.  From my own irregular dips into the place, vaguely reminiscent of the soukh I ended up in in Tangiers...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    fretfinder said:

There may be that one punter out there who just has to have the rosewood neck model. But I reckon most punters will think £1300 is more than AVRI money and close to Custom Shop Classic values, and those would probably be much better guitars, albeit without the solid rosewood neck.
    This is the point. For some buyers the rosewood neck is the thing they want. It doesn’t matter how good an AVRI or a CS is if it doesn’t have one, it’s of no interest.

Fender may or may not ever make any more, but right now it looks unlikely.

I have no affiliation with the OP! I just think it would be unwise to underestimate the value of something like this. You can always accept a lower price if you start high, but not the other way round.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    ICBM said:
    fretfinder said:

There may be that one punter out there who just has to have the rosewood neck model. But I reckon most punters will think £1300 is more than AVRI money and close to Custom Shop Classic values, and those would probably be much better guitars, albeit without the solid rosewood neck.
    This is the point. For some buyers the rosewood neck is the thing they want. It doesn’t matter how good an AVRI or a CS is if it doesn’t have one, it’s of no interest.

I have no affiliation with the OP! I just think it would be unwise to underestimate the value of something like this. You can always accept a lower price if you start high, but not the other way round.
    Agree!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bucky1602bucky1602 Frets: 14
    edited February 2018
    I thought the cites issue was now to do with a maximum thickness so fretboards ok, but full necks not. I know I haven’t seen a new PRS with one since and they seemed to be the most common. 

I am am prepared to be educated though if I’m wrong
  • Whitecat said:
    ICBM said:
    fretfinder said:

Agree!!
    I agree too! The issue is, how many Strat seekers out there want a solid rosewood neck? 1 in a 100? 1 in a 1000? I don't know although I’m sure it’s not many. But as we’ve said, all the OP needs to do is find that one person who specifically wants that feature.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    bucky1602 said:
    I thought the cites issue was now to do with a maximum thickness so fretboards ok, but full necks not. I know I haven’t seen a new PRS with one since and they seemed to be the most common. 

I am am prepared to be educated though if I’m wrong
    Nope, nothing to do with thickness or anything. If a guitar has so much as 1 gram of rosewood, the tiniest sliver, it’s subject to CITES if it’s shipped. You can hand carry rosewood with no permits but only up to 10kg - of rosewood - (which rules out guitars as being a problem). 

There are still PRS coming in... I think not seeing them is more to do with high prices than anything. 

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170317308909024-626397--prs-wood-library-594-fire-red-rosewood-neck-and-fingerbo
  • Now that’s a pretty guitar
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14290
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    ICBM said:
    fretfinder said:

Agree!!
    I tend to agree with this as well
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited February 2018
    US Standard Strats are nearer £600 than £800 s/h tbh but GLWTS
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Cross-referencing with another current thread here, is this a guitar that might fare better with a commission sale if entrusted to the right high-profile dealer? It could be preferable to chancing the tyre kickers and scammers who plague the usual market places.

On the subject of CITES can we safely assume that continued unhindered movement between the UK and other EU states is high on Teresa May’s list of priorities for agreement with Barnier ?
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    No one has a clue, so just put it up at what you want to get for it. If it doesn't sell then think about if you would sell it for less.
  • bucky1602 said:
    So if used us strats are going for ~£800 and I paid £1600 for it £1300 doesn’t sound too unreasonable? I’ll get it out of its case & get some pics and put a thread in the classifieds. Thanks guys
    Truthfully ? I think you are miles out at £1300. But I might be wrong... it looks £800 - £1000 personally, but I might be
    wrong.

Just saying...
    this /\
    Fender do FSR runs all the time....no real added value most of the time.
    If you find the right buyer you may get a little more, but honestly cant see 4 figures
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    adampeter said:
    bucky1602 said:
    So if used us strats are going for ~£800 and I paid £1600 for it £1300 doesn’t sound too unreasonable? I’ll get it out of its case & get some pics and put a thread in the classifieds. Thanks guys
    Truthfully ? I think you are miles out at £1300. But I might be wrong... it looks £800 - £1000 personally, but I might be
    wrong.

Just saying...
    this /\
    Fender do FSR runs all the time....no real added value most of the time.
    If you find the right buyer you may get a little more, but honestly cant see 4 figures
    I understand that there could be that guy who desperately wants one of these and is willing to pay £1300 as a distressed purchase. But 'could be' is not the same as 'is'.
  • Whitecat said:
    Try it on our forum and see how it goes... the market will decide. GLWTS :)
    In all honesty this forum rarely feels like a fair rep of “the market...”

But all he needs is one interested punter...
    Well, its up for sale now... be interesting to see how it goes...
  • One of the telecaster versions sold for £850 on ebay in the US recently :astonished: 
  • hassleham said:
    One of the telecaster versions sold for £850 on ebay in the US recently :astonished: 

Cue tele jokes...