Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    If I had to do it all over again I’d start with a Telecaster and a Fender amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9672
    I like to play rock and country. I don't know if you seen the movie walk the line (2005) I saw the actor Dan John Miller playing a tele classic vibe 50. That's the guitar I want but since I can't afford it I can go for the squier affinity model of the same model If it doesn't make the humming noise being single coil.
    If a Tele is what you want then buy one. If you buy something else you’ll always regret it. ...And please forget about the 50 cycle hum - IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER!!
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • dexterdexterdexterdexter Frets: 4
    edited February 2018

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9672
    No, it makes it different to play. Part of the appeal of a Tele is its simplicity. A chamfered body would just be wrong. Keith Richards once said Teles have ‘everything you need and nothing you don’t’. That pretty much sums it up. A Strat is a slightly more sophisticated animal. I own both and they’re both perfectly comfortable.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    edited February 2018

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I’d seriously think about buying online (Thomann) if there is such little choice in your local stores. 
  • let us all know how you get on.

edited February 2018

• Good stuff @dexterdexter

That's a really decent guitar.

Did you get an amp at the same time or are you still hunting for one? 
  • 57Deluxe said:
    @dexterdexter ;; get a PRS SE - Used will be good value; it will be a good player and you won't need to worry about anything. Will sound decent too.

The lower priced Pacificas are awful what with their Basswood necks and soulless pickups. They sound wiry and woody and clatter when played. The frets are sharp too. Four students got them last year and each is woeful.

The Frontman 15G is a good amp for clean but the Gain channel is rubbish. It has some thump and volume for an 8" speaker though. Put a drive pedal through the clean channel and is OK tone..

I only paid a tenner for mine and have no quibble with it.

Also see this guy playing one flat out. Mind you, he makes a steel girder with a humbucker strapped to it sound good, so don't be too seduced!

I found the Frontman to be a horrible thing, rattly, farty and shit, basically.  Johan has close-miked it which is a totally different kettle of fish to being able to sound good in a room, it actually makes a virtue out of its terrible distorted sound.  £10 is the correct price.  Let's not give the impression it's some sort of undiscovered gem.  If the Laney is actually worse, and specs do not tell us either way, then it must be the worst amp in the world.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    If anyone is looking for a good starter amp I'd point them at the Blackstar ID Core 10.

Fantastic and incredibly capable and less than £100 new and can be had for £50 used!

I'm not a beginner (sound like one but another topic), but I love those new blue PRS SE, I've got an old SE Singlecut Soapbar and it's great,
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    edited February 2018

edited February 2018

• What cable jack is best for my setup angled or straight?
    A straight cable jack @dexterdexter and one which is a reasonable length, 2-3 metres perhaps. It's very odd that the shop didn't provide you with one? 

If you haven't already, buy a tuner. I'd strongly recommend getting into the habit of tuning the guitar up each time you use it and teaching yourself to tune the guitar to itself by ear.

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    What cable jack is best for my setup angled or straight?
    A straight cable jack @dexterdexter and one which is a reasonable length, 2-3 metres perhaps. It's very odd that the shop didn't provide you with one? 

If you haven't already, buy a tuner. I'd strongly recommend getting into the habit of tuning the guitar up each time you use it and teaching yourself to tune the guitar to itself by ear.

Yes a tuner is the next most important thing after the guitar itself.  The clip on ones are best for convenience and work great.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    /\ no I said - sounds great clean. A TS into the clean sounds completely different. No farts or rattles with mine has a good bass thump too for an 8" - here's another pic of mine...

http://i63.tinypic.com/b3wlzs.jpg
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I am hanging my guitar to the wall. Is there a standard measurement height from the floor where the hanger should be? Can someone measure the height from the floor to the hanger?
    Anything high enough that the guitar doesn't touch the floor and low enough that you can reach it (and maybe high enough so that kids can't, if you have kids). Otherwise - up to you :-)
    edited February 2018

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Seriously, you're over thinking this. It's personal preference what height you have it.

Grab it by the neck
    Raise against the wall to a height you think looks good
    Mark each side of the nut on the wall with a pencil
    Hold hanger against wall so hanger arm(s) are level with nut marks
    Level, drill and hang