Line 6 M5 experts?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    Grunfeld said:
    It's a bit of a juice hog too which is possibly a downside if you've not got enough power on your board.
    I’m not sure what you mean here. I’m running it at 9 but should it be higher?

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    ijonty said:
    9v is correct.  There's some debate as to how much current it draws, and the range of opinions go from 250mA to 500mA.
    If anyone knows definitive then I'd be interested too.
    But at any rate even 250mA puts it at the power hungrier end of things.

• Grunfeld said:
    ijonty said:
    9v is correct.  There's some debate as to how much current it draws, and the range of opinions go from 250mA to 500mA.

The Line 6 person on the Line 6 forum says it needs a consistent 300ma.
    That’s about the same as a Renault Twizy.

[possibly]
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Grunfeld said:
    ijonty said:

[possibly]
    But if I remember correctly it ships with a 9v 250ma PSU/plug thingy?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Grunfeld said:
    ijonty said:

[possibly]
    But if I remember correctly it ships with a 9v 250ma PSU/plug thingy?
    Apparently some did. Both of mine came with 500mA rated adapters.

I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone knows that the important thing is the animal sacrifice before the gig is what really makes it work  anyway. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• As long as you use a goat
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ijonty said:
    Grunfeld said:
    It's a bit of a juice hog too which is possibly a downside if you've not got enough power on your board.
    I'm an electrical simpleton, so I've never forgotten this simple analogy - coz it was at my level:

Think of electricity as being water flow. When it gets to a cliff edge, the height of the drop is the voltage. Small cliff = low volts, big cliff = high volts. Volts don't kill you. The amount of water flowing off the cliff is the amperage. More water flowing over = more amps. Amps are power and the thing that will kill you. And it doesn't take much. 

(For a proper explanation, there are lots of people on here who do this for a living and know what they're talking about). 

Back to the M5. When I had one, it was supplied with a 500mA 9v power supply. I put it on a board and tried to power it from the same supply as everything else - a 3000mA 9v Diago unit. Learned it needed an isolated supply (otherwise everything was terribly noisy) and bought a GigRig isolator. Then I found out each isolated supply point on the Isolator has a limit of 250mA (from memory) and the M5 wouldn't boot up. I went back to the dedicated power supply and the Isolator went back to GigRig.

GigRig, BTW, were excellent. I'd had the Isolator sitting at home for 3 months before trying to install it, but they were happy to refund me anyway - at the time, the documentation available before purchase didn't make it clear there was a limit on each isolated output. Their suggestion for the M5 was their TimeLord product. 
  • ^^^ I had to do a fair bit of research to find a PSU that would let me power two M5s off isolated outputs without having to sell a kidney. A lot of the popular PSUs are from a time before people would commonly have several high current digital pedals on their board, so most aren't suitable.

I ended up with a One Spot Pro CS7. Does the business.

• As long as you use a goat
    Depends how long the set is. For a full evening with a covers band, definitely a goat. 

I've usually played shorter sets with originals bands so can generally get away with a pair of doves, or a chicken.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    As long as you use a goat
    Depends how long the set is. For a full evening with a covers band, definitely a goat. 

I've usually played shorter sets with originals bands so can generally get away with a pair of doves, or a chicken.
    For smaller gigs, I use a digital modelling solution - much more convenient.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.