Gretsch Jets - Tell me about them

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
On a whim, I tried an Electromatic Jet today and really enjoyed it. It was comfortable, well balanced and not too humbuckery for a single coil player like me.

If I was going to get one, I'd probably like a more expensive one. Can anybody knowledgeable tell me anything more about them, differences between duo, which eras are good to buy etc? The only thing I would ideally prefer is slightly taller frets and thumbnail or block inlays.

Thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    There was a beautiful black duo in the classifieds for good money not that long ago
    im a fan of the duosonics with all the caveats about single coils
    the filtertrons are just fine too
    necks are a little shallow for me (i like a thicker more D shaped where as these are a shallow C)
    generally well made and your choices are
    humbucker (low output) or single coil
    fixed bridge or bigsby
    finish
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214

Cabicular said:
    There was a beautiful black duo in the classifieds for good money not that long ago
    im a fan of the duosonics with all the caveats about single coils
    the filtertrons are just fine too
    necks are a little shallow for me (i like a thicker more D shaped where as these are a shallow C)
    generally well made and your choices are
    humbucker (low output) or single coil
    fixed bridge or bigsby
    finish
    Mine are all MIJ 90s ones for reference
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5763
    The pro series DuoJet series from Japan look quite like the ProJets but are very different in fit, quality of parts and design. 

All Japanese Gretschs are beautifully crafted guitars and sadly nearly all ship with poorly cut nuts and badly set up bigsbys but don’t let that put you off. It takes a little effort to release their best but very well worth it. 

If you’re usually a single coil player you might like the filtertrons but stay away from the Powerjet and anything with the Powertron pickups. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited February 2018
    There is a big difference between the electros and the MIJ Gretsches which are inspiring quality guitars. Before FMIC started producing Gretches the Jets with the wide headstock and multi laminate necks had non vintage correct solid bodies. 

Fender took construction back to the more hollow vintage style with tonal improvements. They are immaculately made guitars and unlike a les paul you cannot buy a guitar elsewhere for cheaper with the same spec. 
    Jets have near hollow construction and necks high off the body which allows the use of archtop bridges and non tension bar bigsbys. 

It all combines to make a unique sound and feel that are not just replicated by filtertrons alone.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Never once played a bad MIJ Gretsch. They are stunning guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    For several years I played, along with other guitars, an original 1957 Duo Jet with DeArmond pickups and hump fret markers. A lovely guitar. Last year I was able to try the Gretsch Cliff Gallup tribute Jet and, although based on a 1955 original, it was surprisingly close to my original in tones, feel and weight. Slightly different neck profile. I was pleasantly surprised that Gretsch make the effort to fairly faithfully recreate an old original. If anything the standard of construction might have been slightly better than the 57 guitar. 1950s Gretsch quality could be variable.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    calling @TheMarlin ;
  • Dominic said:
    calling @TheMarlin ;
    I'm sure Paul will be along with his input. 
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 302
    edited February 2018

Here's mine:

Quick overview:

1. Neck: slim and narrow. Kinda soft V,  turning to soft C.  Slimmer than Gibson's 60's neck. Frets feel vintage - narrow and small. It's a very fast neck.  The scale is a bit shorter - 24.6. so its very easy to bend notes but in the beginning it may feel a bit cramped to you.  It's easy to make interval jumps and play crazy jazz chords.

2. Body: although it looks like a Les Paul, the body is bigger. It's the same size as a Gibson ES-339 / Gibson Midtown.

3. Fit and finish are great. 

4. Sound: to my ears, it sounds somewhere between a telecaster and a Les Paul with some airiness from ES type of guitar. It cuts through the mix very well. The guitar sounds bright and it's not muddy at all - each note rings very well. 

5. Styles that can cover:

- Rock (especially AC/DC's rhythm guitar sound) 
    - Jazz (more like smooth jazz though)
    - Soul, bepop (it's very warm sounding instrument)
    - Funk
    - Country
    - Blues  (more like smooth jazz -blues though)

6. What I don't like:

- The bridge - it came with Space control bridge. Replaced it with Compton and made a big difference. 
    - The nut - I second what dazzajl says. The proof is below.

dazzajl said:

All Japanese Gretschs are beautifully crafted guitars and sadly nearly all ship with poorly cut nuts and badly set up bigsbys 

Cabicular said:

I guess you are talking about this one: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/116033/fs-gretsch-g6128t-duo-jet-with-dynasonics-and-compton/p1. Lovely guitar, I'm still trying to resist buying it.

mburekenge said:
    Never once played a bad MIJ Gretsch. They are stunning guitars.
    Neither did I.  Very consistent and quality instruments. 

Overall: I love this guitar. There are imperfections, but that's because there is a lot of manual work involved. 

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    The MiC Electromatic Jet has been updated for 2018 with the improved cosmetics and a switch to mahogany for the body (was previously basswood.) EXCEPT - hard tail versions only have those updates for now. I would presume the updates will eventually transmute to the  Bigsby version but they may wait a bit yet. 

I concur that the MIJ stuff is guitar-for-life territory. Supremely well-built. 

The Player’s Edition Pro Jets are now under £2k too which, although still not cheap seem to me to be a better value than the vintage-correct specced versions. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited February 2018
    Here's Mine 125th Anniversary model (think it's no different to a standard one but with a badge on the back)  Absolutely lovely guitar as well built as anything I own, love it to bits

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7879
    Gretsch Jets are fantastic guitars. I agree with an earlier statement, the necks can be a tad skinny for my hands.  They’re quite moder Fender C like, and I like a more of a chubbier handful.  

Some people still think they are country music guitars. Have a listen to AC/DC and Who’s Next, and that should reassure you of their versatility. 

I’m a big fan of the current run Chinese made Gretsch Pro Jets (Electromatic).  They’re not as nice as the Japanese built, but they are a fraction of the price. 

With a little investment, these can be turned into excellent guitars.  The Pickups are great, Blacktop Filtertrons.  They are not as good as TV Jones at crystal clear and sparkly cleans, but they do sound excellent with a touch (or lot) of dirt I’m your signal.  I don’t play with much gain, but I do always play with a grain of dirt in there, and the Blacktop excel. 

Get a TV Jones pickup adjustment chart, and set up the Pickups correctly (way closer to the strings than you might expect - then tweak by ear ), and those Pickups really reward you. 

The Bigsby is the worst ever, the dreaded Bigsby B50.  But, buy a Bigsby Tuning stabiliser (an easy fit) and it’ll transformed into a sublime silk smooth term unit. As good as the B6.  

The plastic nut is grippy, and usually badly cut.  Get some decent tuners.  That’s it.  Great guitar. 

it won’t be as good as the Duo Jet, but will get you 90% of the experience for little money.  

If you can afford a Duo Jet, then find one lightly used.  It’ll never lose money, it’s already has its depreciation. 

Dynasonics will put the guitar into Telecaster territory, Filtertrons are my favourite.  Still have single coil like clarity, but better than Gibson PAFs at overdrive. They have a great midrange punch, fantastic cleans, and none of the mud your get with a Les Paul.  

I currently dont don’t have a Jet, but I’ve got a nice Anniversary, which does me fine.  . 

Final thing. Also look into Gretsch Corvettes (otherwise known as CVT’s).   Thin mahogany body, Gretsch MegaTron Pickups. (Hot Filtertrons), and Bigsby B50.  They can be had for. £300 used. Absolute bargain.  Gretsches best kept secret.  
    Pop a Bigsby Tuning stabiliser on it, and a solid bar bridge ( Compton or Tru Arc), and you’ll love it.  

I habe one with hilotrons in it, one of my favourite all time guitars, and one of the few I have refused to sell, even in hard times.  I need to get my old G Love Corvette back, I miss that one.  

Marlin
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @TheMarlin Never mind country music - most of the good Soundgarden stuff was Chris Cornell on a Jet. Filtertrons are brilliant pickups and I'd have tonnes of them if I had more money & space!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
    Thanks for all the replies. I must say, the 2018 models shown off at Namm look mighty tempting – both the PRO player’s edition and the upgraded Electromatics. I particularly like the aged inlays, V tailpiece and the metallic cadillac green / dark cherry finishes, all of which look amazing.

Seems like a company which are really doing things right at the moment. I can’t really fault the updates or the value for money when you look at rival products. One question mark from me over the new pickups by “the famed Tim Shaw”. I’m not keen on what he’s done with the ones on the American Professional series (Jazzmaster especially).

I might have to take a trip to try these out. I’ve not played a Jap Jet yet, so looking forward to that.