Kinman Impersonators

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 836
edited February 2018 in Guitar
After having recently played a strat with good old fashioned single coil pickups - I have this fancy for a conventional strat.

But I do find myself wondering...

Kinman's latest claim is that with the 'Impersonator' pickup they have  finally nailed the sound of a genuine single coil.  They call it 'non-aged sound' (but then a few years ago, they claimed fully authentic single coil sound with their AvN Traditional series of pickups)

Has anyone actually played a set of Impersonators? Are they really as authentic as a 'proper' single coil?

The attractions for me are
1. The graduated pole spacing (52.5mm bridge, 51mm middle and 49.5mm neck that ensure proper string-to-polepiece alignment
2. an improved magnet stagger (the elevated G string magnet is of course obsolete)

Expert first-hand opinions deeply appreciated...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31664
    Would you take the word of a company who have just admitted they've been lying to you for years? 

It's possible that they really have nailed a true single coil sound at last, but definitely try before you buy, preferably alongside a good proper Strat. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11977
    p90fool said:
    Would you take the word of a company who have just admitted they've been lying to you for years? 

It's possible that they really have nailed a true single coil sound at last, but definitely try before you buy, preferably alongside a good proper Strat. 
    a bit harsh surely?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If the AVNs were Mike Yarwood, maybe these new babies are the Steve Coogan of single-coil-emulating pickups!?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom