Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Old Grey Whistle Test Live.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Oh dear, I only saw the last hour but that was tedious too... Albert Lee was always on the bloody prog back then like every other week for gawd's sake...

Silly Qs asked in the wooden interviews and sorry, but Toyah was not an OGWT stalwart either... Listening to her ramblings reminded me not of her thing-ging but that sex prog she used to host on C4 back in the 90s...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11305
    There should have been several programmes celebrating OGWT.

1) Selection of interviews from the archives.
    2) A multi-week series of music from the archives. They could stretch this out for months. There is a wealth of stuff out there which could be broadcast.
    3) New interviews with people talking about their experiences of appearing on OGWT. Not live, but short interviews edited to make them interesting. Mybe use them as fillers in between music clips.
    4) The story of the programme. This is the one where they let old presenters talk about how important they were.
    5) Before OGWT. For the first time I heard someone mention Disco 2, there's a story there. From memory wasn't the theme music Led Zep's Moby Dick?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    scrumhalf said:
    There should have been several programmes celebrating OGWT.

1) Selection of interviews from the archives.
    2) A multi-week series of music from the archives. They could stretch this out for months. There is a wealth of stuff out there which could be broadcast.
    3) New interviews with people talking about their experiences of appearing on OGWT. Not live, but short interviews edited to make them interesting. Mybe use them as fillers in between music clips.
    4) The story of the programme. This is the one where they let old presenters talk about how important they were.
    5) Before OGWT. For the first time I heard someone mention Disco 2, there's a story there. From memory wasn't the theme music Led Zep's Moby Dick?

Couldn't agree more, about 12 one hour programmes from the beginning right up to the last show would have been so much better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22905
    I'd be quite happy if they just showed some complete old programmes, like they do with TOTP (Jimmy Savile permitting) and forget about the historical contextualising.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375
    Philly_Q said:
    I'd be quite happy if they just showed some complete old programmes, like they do with TOTP (Jimmy Savile permitting) and forget about the historical contextualising.

Wis'd. If they do indeed have plenty of archive footage lurking in the basement then why not show it, instead of the same tired old clips that get dragged out time after time. Give it a Friday slot, alternate it with Jools or something.
  • The theme music was Stone Fox Chase by Area Code 615.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11305
    trolley said:
    The theme music was Stone Fox Chase by Area Code 615.
    Nine Below Zero did a version of it when they appeared on OGWT, that's another bit that should have been shown.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Kiki Dee’s guitar player, tasteful and subtle, a bit of a masterclass there 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    edited March 2018
    I loved Gary Numan's performance - so much that I've bought his new album Savage. Its fab.
    I loved the "proud-dad-looks" Gary kept giving his daughter - and yes, she's a talent as she was perfectly on-key carrying a very difficult part.

I'd agree there was too much chat and not enough music - and its heartening to see that there is more in the archive besides the same old tired clips. Was REALLY interested to see the other track played by the Sensational Alex Harvey Band (they only ever show the Tom Jones cover) - even though it was just a snippet.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    I didn't realise that Gary Numan is slowly morphing into Trent Reznor. Has this been going on for some time?

His was the best live bit - Albert Lee was in fine form too, we all love him too I guess.
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    impmann said:
    I loved Gary Numan's performance - so much that I've bought his new album Savage. Its fab.
    I loved the "proud-dad-looks" Gary kept giving his daughter - and yes, she's a talent as she was perfectly on-key carrying a very difficult part.

I'd agree there was too much chat and not enough music - and its heartening to see that there is more in the archive besides the same old tired clips. Was REALLY interested to see the other track played by the Sensational Alex Harvey Band (they only ever show the Tom Jones cover) - even though it was just a snippet.

That was Next
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Whitecat said:
    I didn't realise that Gary Numan is slowly morphing into Trent Reznor. Has this been going on for some time?
    I thought it was nice that Gary had been able to take something back from Trent - seemed quite full circle in a way
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    horse said:
    Whitecat said:
    I thought it was nice that Gary had been able to take something back from Trent - seemed quite full circle in a way
    Fair point entirely!