Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do i really need/want a Les Paul?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Haha I feel ya! 

I first started on a strat copy. I then upgraded to an esp strat shape. 
    So it was the norm for me.. 

I then got an esp explorer (I like a lot about esps), and it was a whole different animal. Still is! But i love a lot about it, the access, the look, and generic esp things such as extra jumbo frets and the neck carve.. 

But is it really suited to me ergonomically? I dont know! 

Its flat top and my picking hand resting position arent the most comfortable and infact I’m sure that picking hand resting on the body at the angle it does, makes palm muting the D string down harder, and more frustrating because half the time I can’t do it.. maybe thats shite technique!

But its still my favourite to pick up and play, and although I’ve just stated its not the most comfy, it seems it is!

How odd. 

So then I decided, I really wanted a les paul shape! 
    Bought an Epiphone les paul plus top pro and wanted to LOVE it because it looked fantastic, had great spec, was my first set neck and had a briliant top! 

Absolutely hated it. Never had such a shite time playing guitar, and yet it wasnt the les paul cut that made it so. It was an odd and probable medical condition that made my fingers unable to slide or bend on it.. this could have been aided by the guitars softer and smaller frets and much more open grained fretboard. 

Anyway I exchanged it for an Se tremonti and although I still prefer xj frets, I do love it. 

I then randomly picked up a Chapman ml-2 which has an ebony board and slightly bigger frets. 
    Thats my favourite ergonomically out of those les paul shapes, and I love it. Its my second ‘go to’ guitar. Yes it needs upgrades but thats a different matter!

After all these years playing the explorer and those 2 singlecuts, I now fear, but really want to buy a strat style guitar again.. 
    Probably esp because thats what I like, but I wonder if thats ‘my’ style of guitar, and actually would become my most comfortable and thus sadden me because I want the explorer to be that!

Maybe thats because recently I sat down with an old but very cheap Ibanez gio, and thought, ooh er this is quite different to the explorer but almost more natural to play.. If only they did extra jumbo frets, I’d be inclined to buy a midrange one.. 

But, I’m no gigger, nor am I very good, so I do take enjoyment of owning several different cuts of guitar and playing them all, mostly sat down at home. 

I would want to buy a genuine Les paul, probably a faded cheapy one, but I just know I’d not gel with it. Maybe thats biased by my terrible epiphone experience.. 

For me, I like being an Esp guy, but get fed up of most midrange models coming with actives or floyds and mostly in black! 

I think its important to play what gets you hard, but its also important to play what makes you feel good and play good. Sometimes those 2 things don’t coincide, and thats the trick.. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There are that many different flavours of LP that maybe you haven't found the right one. Don't forget to try out the ones from different manufacturers too (Epiphone, ESP, Gordon-Smith, PRS - there's loads).

Or there's always something like a 335, which I always thought had some qualities almost/not the same.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7028
    I would say that if the shape of the neck is the crunch point for you rather than the sound, and you have the resources to go through 10 Les Pauls already, a bespoke job with a suitable neck is the best way forward.  Feline Guitars is yer man.
  • I just bought an ES349...no Paul but amazing sounds, upper fret access and body shape. 
    All the best
  • JackGrantJackGrant Frets: 11
    I have the same thing. Always fancy a Les paul... like how,other people make them sound.  Bought a good standard from GAK in 2002- kept taking it on gigs and using it for 4 numbers, and then picking up a strat or tele.  Someone earlier said about "bonding" which sums up how it felt. 
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Update to anyone remotely interested
    So after LP NGD and a week or so of playing the hell out of it and a surprising revelation!!
    I cracked and pull one of my old favourites of the rack and its like i've progressed 6 months!!
    Can only be pushing myself on a very different guitar i guess, but i'm faster and more accurate than ive ever been when i go back to my old gear.
    Maybe ive stumbled on something that works for me

• NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I love the look of a Les Paul
    I own and play a PRS santana - i've also got a Epi dot which gets played but not as much as the PRS - I still love the look of a Les Paul :)
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3222
    adampeter said:
    So after LP NGD and a week or so of playing the hell out of it and a surprising revelation!!
    I cracked and pull one of my old favourites of the rack and its like i've progressed 6 months!!
    Can only be pushing myself on a very different guitar i guess, but i'm faster and more accurate than ive ever been when i go back to my old gear.

Glad it’s worked for you. I know this sounds obvious but it’s not the change of scale is it?

The alternative, is maybe that a change is as good as a rest -I’m all about that inspiration from new (to me) guitars. 
    adampeter said:

Glad it’s worked for you. I know this sounds obvious but it’s not the change of scale is it?

The alternative, is maybe that a change is as good as a rest -I’m all about that inspiration from new (to me) guitars. 
    The improvement is when i go back to my fenders or musicman, so probably not the scale length.
    adampeter said:
    adampeter said:

The improvement is when i go back to my fenders or musicman, so probably not the scale length.
    That was exactly what I expected you to say.

I think there is something in playing on the smaller Gibson scale and then how that translates to the larger scale, almost that the greater space allows for greater precision. 

It’s what happens to me when I go back to my tele.
    adampeter said:
    adampeter said:

That was exactly what I expected you to say.

I think there is something in playing on the smaller Gibson scale and then how that translates to the larger scale, almost that the greater space allows for greater precision. 

It’s what happens to me when I go back to my tele.
    I see what you mean now....yeah thats a possibility, i'm going to have another solid week on the LP and see what happens when i go back again
    Enjoy it dude. Anything that makes you want to play more and makes you more confident in your own playing is a winner.