Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Crowdfunding - is it just game on??

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
edited February 2018 in Off Topic
Got thinking after reading about this comedian who is being sued by her ex for using personal material in her act and set up a crowdfunding campaign to pay her costs? 

So, if  I have some parking fines and unpaid taxes/fines it is OK for me to attach a sob story to get these funded too??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-43139065
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• 57Deluxe said:
    Got thinking after reading about this comedian who is being sued by her ex for using personal material in her act and set up a crowdfunding campaign to pay her costs? 

So, if  I have some parking fines and unpaid taxes/fines it is OK for me to attach a sob story to get these funded too??

It seems she has no other route if she wants to defend the case.

I can't find what she actually said, so have no idea which one of them is being a twat (or indeed, if it's both..!)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    That's pretty dangerous to arts in general imo. What's next not being able to write a song about a breakup? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe said:

I can't find what she actually said, so have no idea which one of them is being a twat (or indeed, if it's both..!)
    And regardless the case could have implications for a lot of people, a lot of comedy is based on personal experience, as are songs - though individuals are rarely explicitly named in songs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    If I wasn't married I'd set up a crowdfunding page for "feeling a bit down lately need a week in vegas with gambling money and some spends for ladies of the night and exotic substances."  people seem to get money for everything.
  • Why not? Giving to some "genuine" charitable causes appears to have been funding people to sexually abuse the people they are supposed to be helping. Giving money to someone to help pay a parking fine sounds quite noble in that context.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • People have been crowd funding trips to fucking Machu Pichu for years, may as well let other people get in on the act.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • The whole argument against crowd funding kind of falls apart given it's voluntary.  Of course people can ask.  Disliking that someone then received something is either jealousy and or cynicism... but the people who gave, chose to do so.  It's only really arguably wrong if people were misled and lied to in order for the donations to be made in the first place.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited February 2018
    I want to rid the world of kettles that take any longer than 60 seconds to boil.

It's ludicrous that in 2018 I have to wait 4m and 53 seconds for 1.5ltr water to boil and the last 50-odd seconds it's boiled anyway it's just showing off.

Fuck that.
    I want everyone to have proper kettles that don't take the piss and understand how lucky they've not already been thrown out of the fucking window already.

If you say it can't be done then don't try to tell me we landed on the fucking moon 50 years ago!

I can't wait until you lot run out of steam with that shit.

Anyway, kettles.
    Fuck them.

We Need new ones.
    Go.........do something. .....I think......
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Maybe I should get crowdfunding to help pay for new windows all round. Because not to do so would be a dereliction against global warming. Just think of the children. 
  • Alnico said:
    I want to rid the world of kettles that take any longer than 60 seconds to boil.

It's ludicrous that in 2018 I have to wait 4m and 53 seconds for 1.5ltr water to boil and the last 50-odd seconds it's boiled anyway it's just showing off.

Fuck that.
    I want everyone to have proper kettles that don't take the piss and understand how lucky they've not already been thrown out of the fucking window already.

If you say it can't be done then don't try to tell me we landed on the fucking moon 50 years ago!

Anyway, kettles.
    Fuck them.

We Need new ones.

Your little rant about kettles is all well and good but what the fook has it got to do with crowd funding?

Alnico said:

Fuck that.

Anyway, kettles.
    Fuck them.

We Need new ones.

Your little rant about kettles is all well and good but what the fook has it got to do with crowd funding?
    Someone should crowd fund it?
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited February 2018
    Alnico said:

Anyway, kettles.
    Fuck them....

And, who the hell drinks 1.5 litres of coffee at one sitting !     :-O

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    Alnico said:

Anyway, kettles.
    Fuck them....

And, who the hell drinks 1.5 litres of coffee at one sitting !     :-O
    Americans.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ....me. 
    One cup at a time but I'll refill our kettle once and use both between 6am and 12pm.

• 57Deluxe said:

The article suggests that her material implied her ex was abusive, and included naming him and showing still and video images. If that’s the case then it would seem he has some justification for being upset, potentially.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14573
    The time has come, the Walrus said, to crowd fund a campaign to outlaw crowd funding.

Once upon a time, in a Britain far away, some of the non-essential things that make society work a little better were funded by the state. As the collective willingness to pay taxes diminishes, the subsidies end. Hence, the begging bowl is out again. Next thing you know, the workhouses will be re-opening. Not necessarily a bad thing. Thatcher would be proud of how we have reverted to Victorian values. Let's all go darn The Strand. ('Ave a banaaaaaaana!)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12426
    Take my wife please.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    The ex-husband sounds like a dick tbh. Oh boo hoo my ex-wife said something bad about me, I'm going to sue her.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    57Deluxe said:

Go for it, no ones stopping you just like no one's forcing anyone to donate money to any crowdfunding page.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Alnico said:

Fuck that.

Anyway, kettles.
    Fuck them.

We Need new ones.
    I always said if I win the lottery I’d have two luxuries in life....an instant water boiler so I never have to wait for a kettle to boil, and a new pair of socks for every day of the rest of my life!

Im a man of simple needs :lol: 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom