ORIGIN FX...OVERDRIVE

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    lukedlb said:
    What kind of drive are you after? I want to get a Marshall superlead a la Hendrix and the rd does it perfectly. But then, that drive isn’t as gainy as you might think. Careful working with the lows will help in combination with the EQ. 
    I must admit that I do still question the RD. 
    I do believe that the two channels are fundamental. The extra setting of mid boost and blend should help in a live context. 
    This is not an ethos overdrive. It is an excellent tool for recreating tones. I would imagine that other drives would provide a voicing that can support your technique (provide extra sustain, compression, dirt, breakup). 
    It might sound silly but a lot of my dirt sound comes from how I play. The Rd helps create an amp tone/reaction that makes it easier for my technique to sound dirty. Is some cases the RD sounds clean compared to a traditional overdrive. But the reaction to my playing has more dirt and noise than my direct to amp clean. 
    I get compression, balance and sustain from my playing technique. I get dirt from the percussive plectrum on strings or hitting all the strings together. 
    I am not a high gain player so the RD helps provide the arena I can play in via tone and drive range. 
    I use a fuzz face in a similar way, except the ff provides an additional rip roaring blast. Technically, the RD does too, although I believe that should belong to a ff into the RD. Perhaps I’m mistaken but manic depression is a ff into a superlead. You can hear the guitar volume pot increase for the solo and decrease afterwards, a little too clean in fact and markedly different from the first verse.
    im still uncertain about the bright caps. 
    I can not emphasise how much I use it to REcreate. Not necessarily create (I prefer clean amps for writing). 
    Great answer, thank you. I think you’ve hit upon the problem... I’m stupid and misjudged what it’s actually designed to do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • onyironyir Frets: 45
    @SouthpawMark , what are you trying to achieve with the pedal? What equipment are you using it with?

My case is a bit different, as I don't actually use an amp live anymore. In my rig the RD is acting as an amplifier, going into a cab simulator. In that role it works really great. I've got the right side set as a sort of Plexi sound, and the left side as a Fender DR with lower gain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24282
    Sorry for reviving an old thread, but what are the views on this pedal now it’s been out a while?

I bought one last week  based on some YouTube reviews (I know, I know) , tried all of the recommended presets, and I’m a little bit underwhelmed. Am I missing something?
    Still got time to return it?
    Yes, but I’d rather not as I’m not a fan of returning stuff because I simply don’t like it. I’m hoping someone can point me in the direction of a “wow” setting. 
    The Consumer Rights rules were designed exactly so you could buy online and try something at home and send it back if you don't like it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    onyir said:
    @SouthpawMark , what are you trying to achieve with the pedal? What equipment are you using it with?

My case is a bit different, as I don't actually use an amp live anymore. In my rig the RD is acting as an amplifier, going into a cab simulator. In that role it works really great. I've got the right side set as a sort of Plexi sound, and the left side as a Fender DR with lower gain.
    I’m not entirely sure to be honest. I’m using a Duesenberg Caribou in to a Tone King Amp. I think the problem is that my Tone King sounds brill as it is, and I’ve also realised that I dislike British style amps. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It went back. Got myself an Empress Reverb pedal instead, which seems to be pretty darn good. 
  • Common sense mate. Nothing to feel bad about.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922