jupiter 10LC 10" 50 W for a '68 Custom Vibro Reverb

What's Hot
MarshallMarshall Frets: 362
edited February 2018 in Amps
Anybody got any experience with these? looking to change out the Celestion 10/30s in my '68 Custom Vibrolux, and looking at WGS G10C/G10A possibly as a pair or perhaps the G10C paired up with the Jupiter..

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
    tFB Trader
    The Jupiter 10LC and WGS G10C are almost the same speaker- same frame (albeit different colours), same cone, and same spider. The only difference is the voice coil. WGS assemble both models in the USA.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MarshallMarshall Frets: 362
    Wow! Thanks for the ultra rapid reply and heads-up on this ;)  if I remember you're a fan of the WGS, how does the voice coil affect/change the sound in the jupiter?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
    tFB Trader
    Marshall said:
    Wow! Thanks for the ultra rapid reply and heads-up on this ;)  if I remember you're a fan of the WGS, how does the voice coil affect/change the sound in the jupiter?
    Well, the Jupiter is rated for 50w, whereas the WGS is 75w. Whether or not the Jupiter is actually 50w I don't know, it may be a marketing thing to differentiate from WGS.

Tonally? Probably makes no difference whatsoever as all of the other bits are the same anyway.

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

Thank for this.
    Assuming the same applies to the Jupiter alnico vs WGS alnico 10s?
    Have you ever tried/compared the Weber 10 alnico 10A125 / 10A150 ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 317
    Are the '68 Custom Vibrolux's 35 watt? If so I'd be tempted to go with the 10SC depending on how loud you play and if the 10LC are similar to the WGS G10C

I have the Jupiter 10SC in a Super Reverb and they sound great! I did have the WGS G10C a while ago. I found them a bit heavy and loud with quite a lot of bass, all the opposite of what I needed for the SR! I also tried them in a '66 Vibrolux I had at the time and felt they were the same with that amp, just a bit too strong/bold.

The 10SC are a nice middle ground between the G10C and Vet 10.. smallish magnet so not too heavy, 95 - 96db sensitivity rating which allows me to turn the amp up more than with heavy magnet speakers ;-)
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Just for info, I have a ‘69 Vibrolux Reverb Drip edge, and have fitted Eminence Legend 1028k alnicos, and to me they just hit the sweet spot for this amp, especially if you play bluesy stuff
    I agree with @DJH83004.. I have two of the 1028k paired with the 10SC's 
    edited February 2018
    strat84 said:
    Are the '68 Custom Vibrolux's 35 watt? If so I'd be tempted to go with the 10SC depending on how loud you play and if the 10LC are similar to the WGS G10C

I have the Jupiter 10SC in a Super Reverb and they sound great! I did have the WGS G10C a while ago. I found them a bit heavy and loud with quite a lot of bass, all the opposite of what I needed for the SR! I also tried them in a '66 Vibrolux I had at the time and felt they were the same with that amp, just a bit too strong/bold.

The 10SC are a nice middle ground between the G10C and Vet 10.. smallish magnet so not too heavy, 95 - 96db sensitivity rating which allows me to turn the amp up more than with heavy magnet speakers ;-)
    DJH83004  & strat84  This is very interesting and helpful thanks guys! 

The ten 30s are 30w but I have to admit although I do like to crank the volume a bit to that typical point on the edge of break up and push it from there with a boost, the sound clips I've been hearing online of the heavier/louder WGS G10s (Struggled to find anything on the Jupiters) didn't really do it for me...admittedly, there's a real shortage of clips for the WGS as well unfortunately, hence the thread, and hence the usefulness of people's real world experiences, esp in Supers and Vibros (my 2 favourite Fenders )  

I'm still interested in the Weber offerings but again hard to find clips, and even harder to find in Europe..
    ..not the greatest clip ever in various aspects, but despite the lowfi quality I thought these sounded promising : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IgE9xsdAZ0

I like the idea of one alnico in the 25-50w range paired up with a ceramic in similar range to balance things out. The lower range sensitivity 93-97db does seem to have a huge impact on the end result from what I've heard - the natural compression and feel seem to be just that bit more Fendery/American voiced to me for want of a better description! Or at least what I'm shooting for!

I was intrigued by the larger-than-life Mr Koch's choice of 2x 10” Jensen Falcon C10-40 speakers in his new 'The Greg' Koch signature amp. Being a big Vibro fan himself, he presumably could have gone with anything he wanted making his choice interesting on a number of levels. 

Also in the Jensen department, the P10R-Fs do seem interesting, ticking the boxes in terms of power, sensitivity and the slightly smoother vintage voiced sound designed for the Reissue Fender ’57 Bandmaster and the 20th Anniversary Vibro Kings etc. Perhaps break up a little early in which case perhaps the P10Qs.. Wonder how the eminence Legend 1028ks compare with these..any decent quality clips of the eminence? wasn't impressed with Eminence's own YT clips, they're so drenched in reverb/room characteristics it's hard to tell much! 

The Aynsley Lister clips playing Rift Amp's Vibro '63 6G16 with the 
    Eminence 1058 + 1028K combination ain't exactly shoddy either!

I would say the 1028k is comparable to the P10Q given it's wattage and sensitivity.. Those P10R-F's might break up a bit early with their 92.5db rating, seems quite low!

Yes Aynsley's clips are great! It seems to be a popular mix the 1058 + 1028

Where are you based @Marshall? I have a quad of the 10sc and a pair of the 1028k's you could try before you commit to buy?
    strat84 said:
    I would say the 1028k is comparable to the P10Q given it's wattage and sensitivity.. Those P10R-F's might break up a bit early with their 92.5db rating, seems quite low!

Yes Aynsley's clips are great! It seems to be a popular mix the 1058 + 1028

Where are you based @Marshall? I have a quad of the 10sc and a pair of the 1028k's you could try before you commit to buy?
    Very kind offer mate, thanks! Sadly I'm in the wilds of the northern Lancashire moors which means I'm almost always a long way from everyone!

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    Haven't tried the Jupiter, though I've heard good things. I've tried the eminence 1028K and really liked it. Also tried a weber signature and liked it. But my favourite has got to be the eminence/alessandro GA10-SC64 speaker.