Another Treat Yourself - Pete Thorn, Super Reverb

What's Hot
clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
11 mins of intelligent thought and wonderful Fender tones, and I'm not much of a Fender person :)

Just stunning sounds.  And Thorn always has interesting ideas how to use gear.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    That's one hell of a tone.
  • MarshallMarshall Frets: 362
    I MUST have one :))

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest

• Marshall said:
    I MUST have one :))
    Yeah that's what I thought, and I've no idea what I'd do with it :)

Tone, wow.  Wonder why the TPS guys never sound anything like that good, with the same amp :)
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Pete Thorn is the one player who keeps making me think I should give Strats another go, he just knows exactly how to get the best from them.  

As for the amp tones it sounds predictably amazing.  
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    Recommended video by TPS, and it sounded so good. Too loud for a loser like me. 
  • Mega mega sounds...

Im thinking of buying one for our rhearsal room, if I can find one...
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Great stuff
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    No pedal ever comes close to those tones imo, he's such a great player and musical unlike others just blazing through notes that mean nothing 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No pedal ever comes close to those tones imo, he's such a great player and musical unlike others just blazing through notes that mean nothing 
    Right.  Hearing this made me think, fuck you can buy an amp that sounds that good, with mere cash?

Mr Thorn (and that Strat of course) is a very talented player and is intelligent enough to play to the equipment's strengths, fair enough.

Makes me wonder why Fender fans bother with all the boutique stuff when *that* is available.

Maybe it's a "special" one and worth shitloads, I've no idea, but if I was looking for a Lazy J etc, after hearing that I'd be looking at old Fenders, end of.  

Actually I still want one! :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 784
    I watched a guy called Kevin Russell using this amp in the Bay Area S.F in the nineties, small bar. I too had never heard such a glorious sound , he played lenny too.
    Great Vid.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

Super Reverb is one my all time favourite amps of all time.

Sadly I don't often play big enough gigs to justify employing mine live.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    I always struggle with what Guitar sound is for me... Marshall, Fender Tweed, Blackface etc.... But that sounds perfect for me being a Strat devotee... :)
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3880
    I didn't realise Supers had a mid control until recently. Surely that's the trick (over Princetons, Deluxes etc.) for getting a good sound with a strat.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    To be fair, he is an immense player. He could make anything sound good!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024

• What are the reissues like?  I had a quick go on one once, it was nice but from memory a bit too bright/glassy, but didn’t get to do much tweaking. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited February 2018
    @menamestom

No - they NOT glassy/bright at all. The Bass control on these is amazing. You can dial a 5 on the vol and be in a nice zone comfortably BUT dial the BASS too past 5 and the volume increases exponentially. THIS is where the massive balls from this amp comes from Big BASS and 3/4 dialed volume.

I have had the 59 Bassman RI and have Tweed Deluxe and of course the SR and the SR is the best amp of the lot and better than any of the other amps I have/owned.

The Achilles heel in all SRs is the pup pup Tremolo when the dedicated 12AX7 goes off the boil.

These amps are HiFi spatial and deliver any tone you want with a pedal. You don't need a stack if you own a SR

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/52/9b/22/529b224c4c97bd7faab4373212154ff0.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Im thinking of buying one for our rhearsal room, if I can find one...
    You've already been there Waz, with the EZG. You just need the cab, got to be 4 10's. Ragin Cajuns possibly. 
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    edited February 2018
    It may well be a superb amp, but everything in the hands of Pete Thorn sounds amazing...plus he seems a dab hand with production techniques too.

Several times I’ve bought gear based on his demos to then find tonal disappointment when the new shiny gear is subjected to my ham fisted efforts.
  • this is a great video, just such a rich wonderful tone, i bet it's loud as f*ck in the room though :)

did you see Josh Smith nail the SRV tone on TPS last week too, that was ridiculous

• Those chords!