What would cause a valve amp to lose volume?

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
This happened at rehearsal yesterday. We were pretty loud and and all of a sudden a massive loss in volume. It was as if 50w turned into 1w. 

Pre/power valve issue?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    Many things, but if it's a valve it will almost certainly be a preamp - a power valve failure won't take as much volume off as that and will produce an odd-sounding distortion.

What amp is it?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    ICBM said:
    Many things, but if it's a valve it will almost certainly be a preamp - a power valve failure won't take as much volume off as that and will produce an odd-sounding distortion.

What amp is it?
    Thanks - I will do the old preamp valve swapping trick. It’s a JCM800. 

Out of interest, what valve brands would you recommend for V1 V2 & V3? Is there a particular valve that works best for the PI? 
    rico said:

Out of interest, what valve brands would you recommend for V1 V2 & V3? Is there a particular valve that works best for the PI? 
    RFT throughout.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    rico said:

RFT throughout.
    Sorry - RFT?
    edited February 2018
    rico said:

Sorry - RFT?
    RFT 12AX7s. The best-sounding in any late JMP or JCM800 2203/4.

It might not be a valve anyway though. One of the more common (though still rare) faults on these amps is the 100K plate resistor on V2A failing. Ideally it needs to be replaced with something a bit more robust than the original 1/2W carbon type.

Ah - I had a google and they aren’t cheap! Next best option?
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    When a customer does not specify a preference, I tend to fit TADs in JCM800s, they are pretty reliable and you can swap the positions of the valves without having to worry if they are going to be ok in the cathode follower position, prior to the tone stack. You can get them in the UK through Hotrox.

@DJH83004 I actually have TADs in 2 & 3 and I think a Sovtek in 1. Will replace them one by one to see if it is the cause of the issue. 
    edited February 2018
    @ICBM It's not a pre-amp valve. I just dropped it off to Guitar Aid and after some probing it seems like it may be the OT. Would a new one from Marshall be OK?

Thanks as always. 
    Ah... I remember now - this isn't an actual JCM800, it's a copy? It would be helpful to say so :).

The transformer looks like a generic Chinese one, and that sort of very low output could certainly be explained by a shorted winding. While this is not unknown on Marshalls either, it's more common on this sort of thing.

A Marshall transformer (either Drake or Dagnall, depending on model) will be a better choice - if it fits. I notice the PT doesn't properly fit the chassis cut-out either...

• I've had this phenomenon alot over the years. It was only recently I realised it was the drummer turning me down. The drummer FFS!!

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Ah... I remember now - this isn't an actual JCM800, it's a copy? It would be helpful to say so :).

The transformer looks like a generic Chinese one, and that sort of very low output could certainly be explained by a shorted winding. While this is not unknown on Marshalls either, it's more common on this sort of thing.

A Marshall transformer (either Drake or Dagnall, depending on model) will be a better choice - if it fits. I notice the PT doesn't properly fit the chassis cut-out either...
    Yes you are right, sorry! 

Is there a particular size for OT's or is it just finding one that is typically used on these models?

Pic mysteriously disappeared - reinstated above!
    rico said:

Is there a particular size for OT's or is it just finding one that is typically used on these models?
    You will have to either assume that the transformer they use is the same mounting footprint as the proper one, or measure and check.

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Why not drop Mike at Modulus a PM (he regularly contributes to the forum), he carries Dagnall TXs in stock and would measure one up for you. To be honest probably a lot better quality than the one fitted as well  ;)