Anyone gigging a 15 watt amp ??

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
Thinking of going back to an orange tiny terrror.
or possibly a rocker terror so I could use the fx loop for a solo boost. 

Anyone gigging a 15 watter ?? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ive gigged an H&K tubemeister 18 head through a 2x12 cab for 4 years without ever getting the master volume beyond halfway.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Not all amps are created equal...and it depends if you need pristine cleans. A Tiny Terror won't do clean at gig volume unless you mic it.
    Same with a Laney Cub 15 head - couldn't get the clean volume i needed, even through an efficient 103dB speaker. Was plenty loud enough dirty though.

On the other hand, I've gigged my Mesa Express 5:25+ head on the 15w setting and that stayed clean at gigging volume, so it is amp dependant. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I’m using an 18w Budda 112 combo, heavyish band and it’s more than enough, but the Budda is mental loud for its rating 
  • Depends on the amp. I could never get a Tiny Terror loud enough for a pub gig but used a 15W Egnater Tweaker that was barely ticking over before I got asked to turn it down.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Used a Blackstar Artisan 15W combo unmic'ed with no problems at all, as I don't need a clean tone.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Gigged a 12 watt Princeton extensively, albeit with a 12” speaker. Plenty loud as long as everyone else doesn’t take the piss volume wise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I currently gig with an Orange Rocker 15, and I used an Ibanez TSA15 before that. 

But it all depends on what you're playing, who you're playing with and how you're using the amp -

I probably couldn't use either of the above playing cleans in  metal band with king kong on drums. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Boogie Mini Rectifier 10w/25w into 2 1x12s - using the 10w setting. Less than half power on the master volume.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • i use to gig a laney cub12r combo but upgraded to a more efficient celestion v30 speaker, was plenty loud enough unmicced in pubs, with the gain halfway up,sounded great, not loud enough for cleans though, as mentioned earlier
  • Jalapeno said:
    Boogie Mini Rectifier 10w/25w into 2 1x12s - using the 10w setting. Less than half power on the master volume.

I still need to try one of these!!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6694
    I've played many gigs with a 5e3 and also a few with my Colombia Reverb, which admittedly with 6L6s in it comes up to 22watts. 

Both without sticking microphones in front of them. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10424
    Done hundreds of gigs with an HT5 including Portsmouth Guildhall but it all depends on the kind of music, is it mic'ed etc

The type of cab makes a huge difference. Large sensitive cab will make more of a difference than another 10 watts
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Depends on the amp. Maz 18 is fearsome gigging amp, plenty loud enough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

I've been using a Princeton Reverb and Tweed Deluxe for several gigs.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    hywelg said:
    Depends on the amp. Maz 18 is fearsome gigging amp, plenty loud enough.
    I have one of those too, sounds immense via a couple of 2x10s.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3311
    I use the 15 watt, EL84 side of my Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 through a 2X12 Cab. I have no problem with gig volume or clean headroom with this particular amp.

• slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    I'm using a Matchless Lightning or a Bad Cat 30 on half power. These are insanely loud and my one try of the Tiny Terror in a rehearsal was that they are fine if you dont need cleans. I did use it with a 80's Marshall 4x12. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    I did one gig with a Tiny Terror (in to a Marshall 4x12), after that I sold it and bought a Duel Terror, it just wasn't enough and we were only a 3 piece
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    I gigged a 12 watt valve amp with a trio with a loud drummer, and it wasn't loud enough.  Then I joined a band playing completely different stuff where I needed a lot of clean headroom, and it didn't work.  But it will depend on a number of factor, whether your amp is mic'd up, and so on.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1380
    Traynor YGM3, cannabis rex (a fairly efficient driver) raised up to head height was plenty loud enough for that time I forgot to bring the mic for it! That was a medium sort of room in a bar/club, bigger stages it has no chance without really nailing the foldback sound (which there never seems to be time for!).