Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

GigRig Power

What's Hot

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    I put together a GigRig power setup for my bigger board last year. It consists of a Generator, 1 Distributor, 3 Isolators and a Timelord. But I bought these second hand from FB members. Not sure if I would have paid full whack, and I was sorely torn between this setup and a Strymon Zuma. I do find it a bit messy under the board - there are six boxes and a lot of wires under there, and it's probably overkill for my needs. But I wanted to give the system a try as Dan makes it look so appealing in his YT videos. One downside is I don't feel like buying another high current pedal because I don't want to shell out for another Timelord.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1284

Actually there's another point in the favour, you know they are fully isolated etc.

I had a decent (not top end) power supply before the Gigrig, and despite being 'fully isolated' - there is absolutely no doubt that without changing anything else the Gigrig system was quieter.

And once you're in - the flexibility is useful, but as I said - at a cost

• Honest question, do you hear the noise when you are playing?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    edited February 2018
    You get what you pay for in terms of quality. I've got a Gigrig system which goes as follows:
    Generator > Distributor
    The Distributor feeds a BOSS ES-8 switcher, three Isolators and two TimeLords.
    Off the Timelords are a Mobius and a Source Audio Nemesis
    Off the Isolators are my analogue pedals and my Smoothhound Wireless system.
    The board is completely silent. There is no hum or buzz anywhere. It's amazing.

However, it is expansive when you need to expand. I'm in the same position as @Philtre said above. I've just bought a new digital pedal which replaces one of my analogue effects and I have to work out how to power it. The Isolators don't supply enough current and my distributor is maxed out. In theory I need another distributor and another Timeline. I'm going to experiment with a bodge and see what happens, but I suspect I'll end up shelling out for some extra bits.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    Honest question, do you hear the noise when you are playing?

Fair point, when you're not playing (meaning all gear on - not when you're in the bath ;) ) - yes, it's subtle but it's there.

When you're playing, obviously not so much - but there was a definite feeling of increased 'purity' in the tone, we're getting into 'transparent overdrive' territory here - would the audience notice? No, but I definitely felt the whole thing just felt a little 'better', like there was more headroom and fidelity

I'm not saying this is the only power solution that would get there - I upgraded from a MXR Iso Brick and definitely felt it all sounded better, which I put down to better isolation,and stable current delivery.

• I have it and like - makes adding/changing easy.  My main beef is some pedals are noisy based on proximity to the Generator. Compressors for example have a varying noise based on where it is under my board...not ideal
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    edited February 2018
    I have it and like - makes adding/changing easy.  My main beef is some pedals are noisy based on proximity to the Generator. Compressors for example have a varying noise based on where it is under my board...not ideal
    Interesting.  I experienced this with voodoolabs PP units and various pedals (dmm, comps to name but a few) but have not had this with a generator.  I’ve been using gigrig for about 3 years.  

• I need to try and work out if it is anything odd about my power or cables etc as its a right pain. Comps are noisy I know but it is almost unusable.
  • I need to try and work out if it is anything odd about my power or cables etc as its a right pain. Comps are noisy I know but it is almost unusable.
    This is pertinent to my experiences of late. I’ve had some board noise issues.... was starting to convince myself it was power related. Turns out one of my pedals was just on the blink. The company sent me a second unit to A/B and everything is as quiet as a mouse... to the extent that I needn’t have bought the new Pigtronix gate... (slightly annoying.) the company are sorting a replacement for me as I type, and are going to transfer all my presets across for me. 
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    I use a CAE MC403 power supply.  It's MASSIVE  (it comes with plates to Rack-mount it)  It's also HEAVY. I was originally worried about the weight of my board and portability. 

Then I decided to just man the fuck up and deal with it.
  • peteri said:
    Honest question, do you hear the noise when you are playing?

Fair point, when you're not playing (meaning all gear on - not when you're in the bath ;) ) - yes, it's subtle but it's there.

When you're playing, obviously not so much - but there was a definite feeling of increased 'purity' in the tone, we're getting into 'transparent overdrive' territory here - would the audience notice? No, but I definitely felt the whole thing just felt a little 'better', like there was more headroom and fidelity

I'm not saying this is the only power solution that would get there - I upgraded from a MXR Iso Brick and definitely felt it all sounded better, which I put down to better isolation,and stable current delivery.

A friend has said very similar things since making the jump to gigrig. 
    I also thought something similar when I moved to cioks tbh

Having purchased a quartermaster I know the quality of the gigrig stuff, it is great, it's just a bit ouch financially for what it is
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • A few things...

1. You can bulk-buy the high current adapters for a reduced price - £51.22 each if you buy 3 or more
    2. You get a discount if you're a G2 owner - 10%, I think it was
    3. The isolator powers most conventional pedals
    4. You can power some pedals directly from the distributor. You only need an adapter if that approach proves noisy, or you need something other than 9V
    I sold my G2 (and Generator) and use an Helix these days, but I kept all the other GigRig power supply stuff and find it really easy to throw together a board on the odd occasion I might need one.

R.
  • On point 3, I beg to differ unfortunately. Underpowered for over half my board. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • On point 3, I beg to differ unfortunately. Underpowered for over half my board.

I had the same issue
  • I have it and like - makes adding/changing easy.  My main beef is some pedals are noisy based on proximity to the Generator. Compressors for example have a varying noise based on where it is under my board...not ideal

That's completely normal. That german chap did a video with the Cioks guy to demonstrate. 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    People also often cite how light weight the GigRig system is, but the numbers tell a different story...

To get 8 isolated outlets from the GigRig system, you'd need a Generator (340g), Distributor (110g) and 2 x Isolators (2 x 95g) + the weight of the wiring between that little lot (say generously 25g?). If you also need a couple of 12V or 18V outputs, then that's another 2 x 50g. So, all in 765g.

By comparison, the Strymon Zuma is only 545g for 9 x 500mA outputs, two of which will switch to 12v / 18V.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 299
    Gadget said:
    People also often cite how light weight the GigRig system is, but the numbers tell a different story...

To get 8 isolated outlets from the GigRig system, you'd need a Generator (340g), Distributor (110g) and 2 x Isolators (2 x 95g) + the weight of the wiring between that little lot (say generously 25g?). If you also need a couple of 12V or 18V outputs, then that's another 2 x 50g. So, all in 765g.

By comparison, the Strymon Zuma is only 545g for 9 x 500mA outputs, two of which will switch to 12v / 18V.
    I suppose it depends on your setup.  In my experience it was notably lighter than 2 voodoolabs units.  Also, does weight distribution play a factor?
  • I just tilled mine up:

1x Basepack 2
    3x Isolator
    2x doubler
    5x Timelord
    1x Evenflo
    1x Supanova
    1x reverse polarity cable 

Factoring in the bulk buy discounts....

£773.64
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    I just tilled mine up:

1x Basepack 2
    3x Isolator
    2x doubler
    5x Timelord
    1x Evenflo
    1x Supanova
    1x reverse polarity cable 

Factoring in the bulk buy discounts....

£773.64
    I'll raise you some... mine came in at £902, without AC options.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Does that not seem a little.... batshit?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom