Did rock music slink off and die somewhere?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    One rock band I've been enjoying a lot the past few years is Royal Thunder. I'd imagine a lot of people here will dig them as well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72448
    Myranda said:

Isn't assuming its an act just because she's young and pretty just as shallow? There's a lot of nergy in her performance. If it's an act it's a convincing one
    I don't mean that, I mean the whole bad-girl teen-whore persona. It's just so contrived - I very much doubt she's actually like that. The band is a cliché to the point of a perfectly straight-faced comedy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Most of what’s called ‘rock’ is a visual cliche. Which is what puts me off a lot it tbh. And a lot of it is an audio cliche too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited February 2018
    AlexC said:
    Most of what’s called ‘rock’ is a visual cliche. Which is what puts me off a lot it tbh. And a lot of it is an audio cliche too.
    But couldn't you say that about any stylised genre? Folk, classical, jazz ... ?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    AlexC said:
    But couldn't you say that about any stylised genre? Folk, classical, jazz ... ?
    Yes. Very much so. There’s base roots to every music. But we all know that it’s the acts and players that break away from that that have ingredient X - however you quantify that.
  • ICBM said:
    Myranda said:

Isn't assuming its an act just because she's young and pretty just as shallow? There's a lot of nergy in her performance. If it's an act it's a convincing one
    I don't mean that, I mean the whole bad-girl teen-whore persona. It's just so contrived - I very much doubt she's actually like that. The band is a cliché to the point of a perfectly straight-faced comedy.

I assumed that was intentional with them too - not saying she isn't rock (what is more rock than songs about blowjobs and clichéd gigs?) but it does feel slightly parody

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2415
    Check out Inglorious. They're really rather good.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22979
    Dopesick said:
    One rock band I've been enjoying a lot the past few years is Royal Thunder. I'd imagine a lot of people here will dig them as well.

I love the two EPs and the first album (and I have two of their T shirts!).  But I've been disappointed by the last two albums, they're too mellow.  I'll keep following them though.
  • If your starting point is the Billboard charts I wonder how much now ( if it ever was the case) that actually reflects what most people are listening to? 
    If you looked at something like festival ticket sales there is clearly a fairly healthy appetite for folk music in the UK , for example, but it's rarely reflected in music charts. There are Asian music stars selling out major venues here but completely under the radar for generated music sales. 
    It's all there if you want to look for it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    Check out Greta Van Fleet and your faith will be restored
    Guitarist magazine readers check out Greta van fleet...

Seriously though these guys are great once you get past the led zep comparison.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4930
    I've never been particularly into what the mainstream radio plays and have no interest in the charts.

A couple of things on Planet Rock got my attention last week; one was playing Xanadu (Rush) and the other a track by The Van Helstrom Brothers (Finnish), so old and new.

A lot of today's music runs separate from the major record companies and radio stations, and they're not particularly relevant to me.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6140
    Another Greta Van Fleet recommendation here.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • A good read is 

Uncommon People: The Rise and Fall of the Rock Stars by David Hepworth  

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited April 2018
    If you want decent and interesting guitar work I think you're better off with some current stoner rock stuff like Elder, rather than them bands that try to emulate classic rock bands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6191
    tFB Trader
    Check out Greta Van Fleet and your faith will be restored
    This with bells on! Also I’ve recently seen Raveneye supported by a band called the treatment.  They were both rock ‘n’ roll all the way through l had an amazing night and really restored my faith in new rock music.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27120
    sgosden said:
    -snip-

saleable & bland. Good old 'king of leon syndrome', take a good band that have made a name of themselves by doing something a bit different, then all of a sudden they're pushing out middle of the road pop rock.

Mumford and sons were massively popular because for their upbeat, fun songs. Now they're writing radio 1 level soft rock.

Bring me the horizon went from crazy heavy > angsty > sounding like coldplay.

Deaf Havana released one of my favourite albums (fools and worthless liars). next thing you know they're bent over waiting for a cover shoot with NME.

Paramore, and panic at the disco, have gone from legendary pop punk bands to generic alt rock.

Its an inevitability that a band on the brink of the popular scene will lean towards writing things that are more appealing to the mass market. its just a shame they tend to have to sacrifice the elements of their music that made them 'popular' in the first place.

I don't know about the others, but Paramore's last couple of records are *brilliant* pop music. It'd be dull as fuck if they'd just released 5 records in a row that all sounded like their debut. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Rock lives - in Netflix/Sky/Amazon drama soundtracks
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    p90fool said:
     I can't think of another time when the charts contained such a high percentage of listenable music. They certainly don't now.
    Not to you, but they do to 18 year olds. 

Quite honestly, a singles chart which appealed mainly to 60 year olds would be a living death, 1953 all over again. 
    More like 1958?
    Plenty of teen acts in the charts in 1958. 
    I bet there were a heck of a lot of people bemoaning scruffy oiks like this "Elvis Presley" fellow and whatever racist epithet they would use for Chuck and Little Richard and wishing people would put on proper tuxs and play in proper bands with horns in 1958.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom