Comments

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    as much as this story is bad, I'm pleased to see you back and posting. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • darcym said:
    Yes I agree. A welcome return.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1467
    edited February 2018
    Oh, I'm looking forward to seeing one of THESE at a gig now! Top fun to be had.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    darcym said:
    Thanks.
    What am I missing regarding the story?
    I would have thought a bluetooth enabled amp that can be hijacked by anyone with a smart phone (ie everyone) is generally a bad idea.
    octatonic said:
    darcym said:
    Thanks.
    I would have thought a bluetooth enabled amp that can be hijacked by anyone with a smart phone (ie everyone) is generally a bad idea.

as in bad news, this is bad technology product, not bad as in poor story
  • The worst part is that it's a 100W amp - this isn't a practice amp, this is something they're intending for you to use at gigs.

Question is...if you saw one on stage, what would you do? It'd be awfully tempting...
    <space for hire>

I wouldn't, as imagine the feeling of having your set ruined,

• The worst part is that it's a 100W amp - this isn't a practice amp, this is something they're intending for you to use at gigs.

Question is...if you saw one on stage, what would you do? It'd be awfully tempting...
    Can you Bluetooth another guitar to it?

To play the song 1 fret up, still in time with the rest of the band.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    darcym said:
    octatonic said:
    darcym said:
    Thanks.

as in bad news, this is bad technology product, not bad as in poor story
    Ah ok- no worries.
    I was thinking I had missed an obvious thing about how it wasn't hackable in the end.
    The worst part is that it's a 100W amp - this isn't a practice amp, this is something they're intending for you to use at gigs.

I'd question the sanity of anyone who knew of the vulnerability and didn't exploit it for comedic effect.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    It would make the classic taxi radio wireless breakthrough problem seem like a minor distraction...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Am I alone in thinking "why"? Much like the dumb idea that is Line6 Amplifi I've never really understood why its so tricky to turn around and tweak a knob if I want a different sound. Surely firing up an app on your phone is *slower*. And as for this jam-along bollocks, er yes... but surely plugging a 3.5mm cable is isn't that much of a chore... is it?

And if its a home practice amplifier (for jam along etc) why make it 100w as mentioned above (the Line6 thing started at 75w). And why make it so large? If it is controlled from a phone, why does the box need to be any bigger than a speaker? Why does it need knobs? 

I just don't get it.

And yes, its pretty dumb to have that lousy security...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Can you Bluetooth another guitar to it?

To play the song 1 fret up, still in time with the rest of the band through a Korg Miku.
    FTFY.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    Am I alone in thinking "why"? Much like the dumb idea that is Line6 Amplifi I've never really understood why its so tricky to turn around and tweak a knob if I want a different sound. Surely firing up an app on your phone is *slower*. 
    The only benefit I can see is that if you've gone totally wireless, you can soundcheck yourself from the back of the room. Assuming Bluetooth has that much range, anyway...

Apart from that it seems quite pointless, so the obvious solution is to make sure the Bluetooth is turned off if you're gigging with it buy a different amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    This was cured in a software update ages ago so not really an issue for anyone with an amp bought in the last few months. Anything older just needs an update which can be done on WiFi. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    impmann said:
    Am I alone in thinking "why"? Much like the dumb idea that is Line6 Amplifi I've never really understood why its so tricky to turn around and tweak a knob if I want a different sound. Surely firing up an app on your phone is *slower*. And as for this jam-along bollocks, er yes... but surely plugging a 3.5mm cable is isn't that much of a chore... is it?

And if its a home practice amplifier (for jam along etc) why make it 100w as mentioned above (the Line6 thing started at 75w). And why make it so large? If it is controlled from a phone, why does the box need to be any bigger than a speaker? Why does it need knobs? 

I just don't get it.

And yes, its pretty dumb to have that lousy security...
    You can edit everything on the amp, you don't need the app to do it. Its just easier to manage through the app and you can create set lists and so on. It also allows you to upload and download patches, update software etc .

contactemea@fender.com 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    yeah, but more importantly - you can steal the guy's personal presets!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    yeah, but more importantly - you can steal the guy's personal presets!
    .............. only if it's an old amp that's not been updated.

contactemea@fender.com 

Good to hear it's been fixed.

Remarkable that such a blunder could have made it out in the first place though - isn't pairing a normal part of the setup for *any* Bluetooth device?

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460
    Guitar amps peaked at the Princeton Reverb.  It's all been downhill since.  Why bother with all of this kind of stuff?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom