Modern Football... A portrait of big vs little

LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
edited February 2018 in Off Topic
I'm not going to name clubs, because apart from anything else that would make it possible for someone to find out real world details of this very real situation. 

Here's the story though: 

My ex, and mother of my child, last week lost her dad after a very long, slow and heartbreaking decline into dementia caused by Alzheimer's. He was one of many ex pro footballers who played back in the 50s and 60s to suffer a similar decline. There is an established link to this, caused in all likelihood, by repeatedly heading a soggy, leather ball that weighed a lot more when wet. 

Anyway, whilst she was dealing with a lot of the official stuff, and starting the grieving process last week, I decided I'd get in touch with the two clubs he played for in his professional days to let them know, and to ask if they could see if they had any photos of him playing to display at his funeral next week.

One of them is a club that has never been a top club. I'm not sure they've even played in the top division but they've always been in and around the 2nd / 3rd division. 

I called them, and was immediately asked to pass on my condolences, and told that they would send a card / put something in the programme at the next home game etc etc. This is despite the fact that he only played 2 first team league games for them, despite being at the club for a number of years. A few days later, I received an email from someone high up at the club, again passing on their condolences and making reference to his involvement in a particular game back in 1957 and assuring us that he would always be a member of the **** family. 

I called the other club. They are a big club. A BIG club. If I gave you 4 guesses, you'd get it. Even if you weren't a football fan. I was asked by the customer service adviser I got through to, to send the details and my photo request through to an email address that he gave me... Which I did. 
24 hours later, I received the following email by reply: 

"Thank you for emailing *** Football Club.

This automated response confirms that we have received your email and one of our team will be in contact with you soon. Please allow 5 – 10 working days for a response.  If your query needs investigation this may take longer.

If you need to speak with us, please call the Service Centre on *********.   Our opening hours are from 09.30hrs to 17.00hrs Monday to Friday.  We will not be open on Bank Holidays."

To date I've received nothing further. The funeral is next week. I'm not holding my breath. 

What I do know, is that during his time at each club, he WAS part of the family. He was never a household name, he played mostly reserves football as there was an established player in his position. But he made lifelong friends, and was part of something. One club is still a community club, that cares about people and has maintained contact with the normal world. They don't, and never have had huge resources...but they know what they are. 

The other is a multi billion pound business, with corporate sponsorship, customers instead of fans, and no connection with it's past or community. He played for the big club for 6+ years, and the smaller one for roughly 3, we think slightly less. 

Sad

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 986
    An old work colleague did a similar thing when one of his friends passed away.  This was a couple of years ago now, but the last I heard Chelsea never got back to him.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I grew up supporting one of the big clubs. The whole family supported them. I lost interest, years ago. I think even the big clubs were alright, years ago. I used to write to mine, and they’d pop you a bit of something in the post. It was nice, and you felt like they cared, and you were part of something..
    But they’ve all gone now. It’s a pity, but that’s how the game is now. The big clubs operate in a different way. They’re a big business, turning over vast sums of money, and they’re geared to that. It’s a shame that they can’t employ one person who can deal with cases like yours, like a human being, with actual feelings, though.. :/
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.