T-Rex Replicator Jr

What's Hot
Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2227

I’m thinking of ordering one of these. 

What’s the general consensus?  Worth the spend?  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9617
    I bought the original one (the bronze)... erratic, noisy, overrated and vastly over
    priced !

Havent tried this newer version though 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7816
    Not in my opinion. Expensive to get a very simple sound, it''s only single head. It's bigger brother has an indifferent reputation too
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2227
    Thanks, that is interesting, Possibly not a sensible impulse purchase then, 

• pmgpmg Frets: 299
    edited June 2019
    I bought the original one (the bronze)... erratic, noisy, overrated and vastly over
    priced !

Havent tried this newer version though 
    Ive got one which is currently being used for reamping vocals.  Was temperamental initially until changing the cassette, cleaning the headsand recalibrating.  Sounds great now.  I suppose that’s tape delays for you.
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    My understanding is that the minimum delay time is too long for any slap back .
    I was interested until I discovered that. 

In choosing which single one of the two heads to use for the junior, they picked the ‘longer’ one.

Conversion to the other head position is not straightforward, as the tap tempo would then be on a 2:1 ratio. (This latter point was in an email from TRex , in answer to my questions)

My understanding is that the minimum delay time is too long for any slap back .
    I was interested until I discovered that. 

In choosing which single one of the two heads to use for the junior, they picked the ‘longer’ one.

Conversion to the other head position is not straightforward, as the tap tempo would then be on a 2:1 ratio. (This latter point was in an email from TRex , in answer to my questions)

shortest time on the replicator is 80ms so yes too long for slapback.  if they've chosen the longer head for the jr it will be 160ms
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1060
    It seems like they really rushed this product out without giving it enough r&d time.

A shame as it's a great concept 

They were at pains to stress their new Binson remake will be a while yet. Hopefully they learn from the replicator  
    i must say once i got it working consistently it does sound great
  • pmg said:
    i must say once i got it working consistently it does sound great

What's the key to getting it working well?
    I replaced the tape, reset the heads and cleaned the capstan, heads and pinchwheel.  So far so good
  • pmg said:
    I replaced the tape, reset the heads and cleaned the capstan, heads and pinchwheel.  So far so good

Thanks.

Did they change the design of the tape cartridge... I seem to think the earlier ones were a bit different.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7816
    pmg said:

Thanks.

Did they change the design of the tape cartridge... I seem to think the earlier ones were a bit different.

Yes, they released a version 2 cartridge sometime ago that was supposed to help.

I was in the market for a tspe echo for a long time... ended up with a Roland 501, which is ace. I read a huge amount of contrasting reviews for the replicator.

BTW bax shop often has b stock ones and the "Discount" code normally works. Seen them for as little as £320
    From researching online yes they did which has apparently resulted in improved consistency.  I think the original tapes with mine were the old design and worn/knackered.  The replacement tapes were vastly superior.  I must admit I’m a complete novice with tape so it took a while to setup but now Im happy with it.  

Used it so far on guitar -the way the repeats sat behind the dry tone was very nice and it “felt” good when playing.  Currently using it for reamping vocals which is also sounding great.  

The actual sound of the tape playing is quite loud in isolation which I found quite surprising (never had a tape delay so not sure if this is the norm, it has moving mechanical parts after all) but you can’t hear it when playing so no big deal.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1060
    pmg said:

Thanks.

Yes, they released a version 2 cartridge sometime ago that was supposed to help.

I was in the market for a tspe echo for a long time... ended up with a Roland 501, which is ace. I read a huge amount of contrasting reviews for the replicator.

BTW bax shop often has b stock ones and the "Discount" code normally works. Seen them for as little as £320
    The Rolands are great. Re201 here. Dublicious.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7580
    The demo of it on That Pedal Show sounded *AMAZING* to me - not tried one in the flesh.

I've had a go on @JEPBLEP 's Space Echo and it's a sound that the digital sims get VERY close too but not quite perfect 
    Red ones are better. 
  • https://www.thomann.de/gb/t_rex_replicator_junior_tape_echo.htm Thought I’d re bump this thread... thomann are knocking these out for £260.... are they still shite?
  • I'm checking one out at this price. Love some tape delay
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7174
    Thought about it, then remembered all the 'joy' of tape echo when I was a kid and you could buy them for sweet fanny Adams at Car Boot sales. Never again! 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10896
    Had a watkins copycat and an el capistan. Sold the copycat