Best sources for Tokai/Edwards guitars

What's Hot
SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
Hi all, I will shortly be in the market for a LP but likely won’t have the cash to outlay for a new Gibson. I’ve had a Tokai Les Paul Reborn in the past and it was great and I’ve also played a couple of Edwardseseses so I’m probably looking at a Tokai or Edwards. I’m definitely after a traditional LP style as opposed to any other single cut. 

A bit bit of googling has brought up Badlands Guitars, Richards Guitars, The Little Guitar Shop and Guitar Village as stockists. Anyone got any experience with these and/or any other recommendations? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wwwwww Frets: 72
    Not sure if this is too late for you, but I've bought 2 guitars from Richards Guitars in the past and wouldn't hesitate on getting another from him
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    There’s a nice edwards in the classifieds on here
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    www said:
    Not sure if this is too late for you, but I've bought 2 guitars from Richards Guitars in the past and wouldn't hesitate on getting another from him
    Yoi might want to read some of Richards  rants on her and elsewhere before you do though.    
    Personally I wouldn’t go there.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    John_P said:
    www said:
    Yoi might want to read some of Richards  rants on her and elsewhere before you do though.    
    Personally I wouldn’t go there.  
    Has he personally wronged you in some way? Has he been fraudulent with you?

Don't get me wrong he managed to come across as a bipolar tool but it doesn't mean that he can't sell you a guitar successfully
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6136
    I got my used Tokai LS-150vf  direct from Ishibashi Ubox in Japan

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/eubox.php?key=Tokai&T=gazo

They are great to deal with and prices are very fair even taking the additiional shipping, VAT and Duty into acount.

I don't know what the situation is with CITES if importing from Japan though
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Serious answer, ask @Elwood if he has any going spare
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jakzekjakzek Frets: 55
    Little guitar shop is great, the guy who served me in there was called Martin, really knowledgable and friendly, highly recommended. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I was going to tag @ellwood ; as he's got a fair few, I believe some were up for sale. 

I don't claim to be an expert at all but I've seen a fair few Greco LPs mentioned as well. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Serious answer, ask @Elwood if he has any going spare
    Common mix up... I believe 

Two L's for Les Paul Ellwood, one for Scottish Elwood? :D

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Check out Tokai Germany. Gottfried has some nice stuff and often has special runs not available elsewhere in Europe
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949

I don't claim to be an expert at all but I've seen a fair few Greco LPs mentioned as well. 
    Or there's Orville and Seventy Seven...

https://i.imgur.com/pb3ykxA.jpg
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    I was going to tag @ellwood ; as he's got a fair few, I believe some were up for sale. 

Cheers. Actually only have two LPs for sale now. I have the 95 Standard

And a 90 Burny Custom which was sold but, thanks to eBay mouthbreathers, not paid for. So is available again.

Good luck with your search - there are some stunning options out there!
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    jakzek said:
    Little guitar shop is great, the guy who served me in there was called Martin, really knowledgable and friendly, highly recommended. 
    Martin's the man for all things MIJ
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844

Don't get me wrong he managed to come across as a bipolar tool but it doesn't mean that he can't sell you a guitar successfully
    Finally  a voice of reason! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I have been away for a week or so without internet access (yes, in 2018. What's that about?!) Will be keeping an eye on the classifieds for ellwood posts and might try a trip into brum to look at the little guitar shop as they have some nice Tokais in. Probs be next month before I am looking seriously, but those two look awesome and could be options if they're still around. :)
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

Finally  a voice of reason! 
     I've bought 2 guitars from him, dude is mad as a box of frogs but they were both decently set up. I would only deal in person though, not distance.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Have you looked on ishibashi ubox?

I got my old Edwards for peanuts from there. Always worth a look
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.