Killer Kali ++ mod: anyone tried/have it?

Alfi27Alfi27 Frets: 52
edited March 2018 in Amps
Hi guys! 

I was wondering if anyone have experience with this mod? Dan Gower is very knowledgeable and friendly, and has been very helpful, but ultimately it's one guy's opinion. Ever since one of my friends' dad raved about how he never should have sold his Gower modded Super Bass I have been intrigued, but after I asked Dan if it's possible to put the mod on a switch and he told me it's not possible because it is a complete rebuild, I got a little worried as I really like the core Marshall tone.

Also, I'm a little worried that because it seems to be a much more preamp based type of distortion it is possible that it will lack the open- and rawness of my Marshall 1987x completely cranked (I use a Torpedo Live so volume isn't really an issue). The amp is already modded though, it has a fat switch, bright cap switch and a one wire mod on a switch, but even with the one wire mod activated and the amp tweaked right it is still a very vintage type of gain, which I love but for some things it's just not tight enough and very bright.

A good overdrive or boost pedal in front will probably solve that problem, but I don't really like being dependent on pedals... I guess what I'm looking for is something in between old Van Halen and Billie Joe Armstrong's amp which has a Bradshaw gain mod, haven't been able to figure out the details but it is some sort of cascade mod and one extra preamp tube as well I believe. 

On a related note, do any of you guys know if it's hard to turn my one wire mod into a "JCM800 on a switch" type of thing? It is already possible to jump the channels and run the bright into normal like the 800s do, but I don't think it is 100% there and it gets extremely trebly, so I have to completely retweak the amp (usually run all EQ knobs on 10) when switching. This clip is with the presence, bass and treble at zero and mids at 10: 

Cheers! 

EDIT: sorry if I posted it in the wrong category, feel free to move it to the making & modding category if that's more appropriate! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    I have a JCM800 that Dan modded for me. We had a long chat and agreed on a rebuild to give it a ‘bit of get up and go’ and now it’s a great amp. I recommend him and he’s a top bloke.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3312
    Dan is a top bloke.

I've not plugged into one of his amps but had the pleasure of being in a rehearsal studio with him and hearing one first hand and it just sounded fantastic, not to mention that Dan's a fantastic player and knows his stuff and sounds.
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    edited March 2018

I have a Marshall Vintage Modern that Dan Modded for me and it's great! Dan is very easy to work with and all the work is very, very good.

From the description given I don't think you’re looking for anything as extreme as the KK++ mod which will turn you amp into a fire breathing metal monster.

If the base tone is good and you want slightly more gain I'm sure Dan could add a gain stage for you, it might entail adding another preamp tube but that is no big deal TBH. In terms of the brightness and tightness discuss those things with Dan and he could tune the amp more to your liking I'm sure.

There are also other more "classic" mods like the Jose and Aldrich mods that Dan could approximate for you that involve less extreme change to the amp - have a quick youtube for "jose modded marshall" - and see if that works for you?

• spirit7spirit7 Frets: 339
    I have a Killer Kali ++ modded JCM 800 that Dan did for me. Believe the hype. The best hot-rodded Marshall sound I’ve heard yet, and goes modern if you want it to.
  • Alfi27Alfi27 Frets: 52
    Thank you very much guys, looks like he has a bunch of satisfied customers at least! If he could have made the cascade-switch more usable that would have been amazing, like a built in boost pedal or something. I do know that the 1987s and 2204 JMPs have a few limitations mod wise as the chassis is quite a bit smaller than the 100 watts of the time and later JCM800s, but sure it should be possible to do something. A switchable Jose mod or something would have been amazing, but I really love the amp as it is so I have to try with some pedals boosting it first (loads cheaper as well)

Very interesting that he mods Vintage Moderns as well, he sent me his price list and it seemed like he only did the mods to single channel Marshalls (which are usually quite expensive, reissue or not), but if he can do other amps as well that's great news! Do any of you know if he has ever done mods on JCM2000 DSLs? They are so insanely cheap here compared to Norway (where I'm from), so it would have been amazing to get one of those modded! 
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    Alfi27 said:
    Thank you very much guys, looks like he has a bunch of satisfied customers at least! If he could have made the cascade-switch more usable that would have been amazing, like a built in boost pedal or something. I do know that the 1987s and 2204 JMPs have a few limitations mod wise as the chassis is quite a bit smaller than the 100 watts of the time and later JCM800s, but sure it should be possible to do something. A switchable Jose mod or something would have been amazing, but I really love the amp as it is so I have to try with some pedals boosting it first (loads cheaper as well)

Very interesting that he mods Vintage Moderns as well, he sent me his price list and it seemed like he only did the mods to single channel Marshalls (which are usually quite expensive, reissue or not), but if he can do other amps as well that's great news! Do any of you know if he has ever done mods on JCM2000 DSLs? They are so insanely cheap here compared to Norway (where I'm from), so it would have been amazing to get one of those modded! 

The vintage moderns are still single channel, but you get a more / less foot switchable gain setting. If you need a clean channel as well as a dirty Dan does offer that as an option too.

I think your plan seems sensible, try hitting the front with some OD's first and see if that works. I don't know much about the 1987X's as an amp but hitting the front of a 2204 with a Boss SD-1 is fantastic for old school rock and classic metal :)

If that does no work out for you give Dan a call and explain what you want and let him suggest the solution – I think that the Jose mod involves diode clipping and I'd bet that can be made switchable - sounds like the sort of thing you need.

Good luck and keep us updated on how you get on - oh and you know if you getanything modded we are going to want clips of it :)
  • Alfi27Alfi27 Frets: 52
    That is true, they are, but he specified in the price list that it had to be one of the old ones with more than one input. That's great news though, Vintage Moderns can be had for relatively cheap! How did you think the amp sounded stock, and do you think the KT66s make the amp very different sounding from the EL34 based Marshalls? Would definitely consider getting a modded VM if he can do it, what did he do with yours? 

I actually have a Monte Allums modded SD-1, which I modded myself (my first attempt to modify anything other than a guitar) but I suspect that I got something wrong as I don't think it sounds better than stock, maybe even worse... Or maybe I just don't like the new voicing, haha. The Rockett Archer is an amazing pedal though, I'll definitely get one of those when I have the funds, and preferably the Rockaway as it help me shape the tone better than the amp (old Marshalls have close to useless EQ!)!