Shielding - effects on tone / resonance

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72416
    normula1 said:
    You should solder the copper tape as over time the joints oxidise and become less conductive.
    Exactly. It's not much work either - you don't need to 'seam' the joins, a single spot between any two pieces is enough.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11599
    tFB Trader
    Not all shielding paints are equal 
    I often open up guitars that supposedly have a painted on shield and it might as well be black paint (I actually suspect it often is)

I use an expensive nickel screening compound that I found years ago and it works really well 
    I find no negative effect on tone but greatly better rejection of noise
    It has been a constant on most Feline builds for nearly 18 years and we use it all the time in upgrading other guitars

Downside is that you can only either buy it in a 400ml aerosol or a 5litre tin (which at £700 a tin gets a bit eye watering)

I did sell some of it to other luthiers last time I ordered though - think GSP loves it too.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom