Fried my atomic ampli-firebox :s

What's Hot
cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
Hey guys, looks like I fried my atomic ampli-firebox.. any idea if that can be fixed? Would assume it has some kind of diode-based circuitry protection? Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Howd you do that if you dont mind me asking?
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Large wok and 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    Howd you do that if you dont mind me asking?
    amplifire on a daisy chain with an eventide h9 (through a bog diago green adapter - inverse polarity + 2.5mm). THe H9 was ok but for some reason the amplifire got fried.

Just opened it and I can see 1 surface mounted component burned (just beside the power jack) so was wondering if someone would be brave to try replacing that before buying a new one?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    cbellanga said:

Just opened it and I can see 1 surface mounted component burned (just beside the power jack) so was wondering if someone would be brave to try replacing that before buying a new one?
    That does sound like it might be a shunt protection diode. What you can do is to cut away the burned component, and then - *making absolutely certain you are using the correct power supply*, the manufacturer's original one if possible if it came with one - try powering it up. If it is a simple protection diode that's shorted and no other damage has been done, it will work.

In that case all you need to do is replace the diode - you can solder it to the pads of the old one, or preferably use a higher-rated one soldered directly to the DC jack pins - and it will work again. Shunt protection diodes aren't really the best way of protecting a circuit, but they do work in about three-quarters of cases and it's often difficult to mod the circuit to fit a series diode instead.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbellanga said:
    Howd you do that if you dont mind me asking?
    amplifire on a daisy chain with an eventide h9 (through a bog diago green adapter - inverse polarity + 2.5mm). THe H9 was ok but for some reason the amplifire got fried.

Feel for you man, hope its an easy fix.