NEW TIGER NECK!!

What's Hot
ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
in Guitar tFB Trader
I've wanted to change this neck for quite a while, i found the neck that cam on my classic players 60's strat a tad too thin. I prefer a chunkier neck.... Anyway, i ordered one and basically id specified it to be too thick and the frets too small.

So after a hamfisted attempt by me to get this neck to work, I'd ruined it or so i thought. I contacted Jon @FelineGuitars ;
and between him and Tom they managed to sort it. It now has chunky frets, an amazing neck carve and fabulous finish.... the star resonates much more now and it has become a very loud guitar...

I guess this just goes to prove how amazing jons fretwork, and luthiers skills are... If you have a guitar that needs some TLC, send it his way. I'm sure you'll appreciate how a meh guitar can turn into a keeper.

https://i.imgur.com/pF87RNw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KPEThdo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mzYsq3d.jpg
Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mortmort Frets: 719
    That is beautiful. Looks like it’s carved from solid Tigers Eye!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattPMattP Frets: 252
    That's a beautiful piece of wood, wow!
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    Hmm, that is very nice indeed - heat treated flame maple?
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    That looks flippin' gorgeous!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    Yup - quite a lot of work went into that baby...

We removed a little from the front face of the headstock where a carved in logo hadn't gone quite to plan.
    Pulled the old frets and re-profiled the fingerboard to a slightly flatter radius.
    The back of the neck was slimmed and shaped to a 60s strat like profile, and the fingerboard edges rolled a bit

Note : roasted maple is weird to sand - sands very easily but is almost too dry and can be easily chipped

We got the neck really smooth and then used Danish oil to penetrate the wood and liven up the grain 
    When those coats all hardened we went back and used some Eze Oil to build up a surface coat

We fretted it with Dunlop 6000 wire (a polar opposite to what was there before) and fitted a new nut (we chose an earvana one). Then a careful fret dress in the neck jig and cut the nut height, and it was ready to hand back to be put back on the guitar.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    That's grrrrrreat! 

Oh, come on someone was going to say it...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dirty_p90dirty_p90 Frets: 13
    Stunning . 
    A Guitar Is For Life 
    Not Just For Christmas
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    roasted maple with danish oil.....mmmm......that sounds delicious
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Beautiful. I'm saving my pennies to send the Tele his way so he can work his magic.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    My American Pro is going there next week to have "Work" done to the neck.
    Now I'm really excited.

Ade that looks stunning mate especially with Candy Red.
    Wow.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    STUNNING @ThorpyFX and kudos to @FelineGuitars for the expertise :) fantastic neck!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    That is lovely .....very special
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1007
    Wow!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22936
    It looks fantastic, I love the appearance of a neck with a bit of hand sanding, rolled fretboard edges and a quality fret job, it's a million miles from the "straight off the CNC machine" look of some necks.

Was there any tint in the oiled finish, or is the roasted maple really that dark in colour?  It's almost like a pale rosewood or pau ferro.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    It looks fantastic, I love the appearance of a neck with a bit of hand sanding, rolled fretboard edges and a quality fret job, it's a million miles from the "straight off the CNC machine" look of some necks.

Was there any tint in the oiled finish, or is the roasted maple really that dark in colour?  It's almost like a pale rosewood or pau ferro.
    its quite a dark roasted colour tbh. very tasty though
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com