Multi FX recommendations??

Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2761

A mate of mine is looking for a low-cost multi-fx unit for live use... for electric guitar.... going into a 20 watt Roland cube amp. Budget for the multi-fx is approx. £140 to £160.

I'm not really clued up on those types of FX... so I would appreciate any comments on the relative merits of the various options out there.

I've had a very quick (online) look at the following:

Digitech RP360XP

Zoom G3XN

Boss GT1

At first glance, to me, it looks like the Zoom G3XN might be the easiest to use and adjust in a live situation (as there are 4 knobs per virtual stomp box... and 4 footswitches... and individual displays for each of the 3 sections).

Any good experiences or bad experiences with any of the above units?

Any other options that we should be looking at?

Many thanks for your help.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72488
    Second hand Boss ME-50. The simplest to use, best-sounding basic multi-FX I know of. Typically around £100, or less. All parameters are controlled by knobs, and you don't have to programme it if you don't want to - it can act as four simple pedals. And it sounds genuinely good, not just OK - so much so that I've sold most of my analogue pedalboard.

The later ME-70 might be worth a look if you need amp modelling, but although it has that and more effects, I didn't think it sounded as good. I haven't tried the current ME-80 yet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks @ICBM.

Wow... I wasn't expecting that!

As I say, I haven't tried any of the current crop of low-cost multis... and haven't played an ME50 (I've always used individual pedals). My wife had an ME-50B some years ago, but I probably only spent a few minutes trying it out - so I can't remember much about the sound etc.

I guess one concern with second hand could be reliability. That said, I guess Boss have a reputation for making fairly rugged products... but you never know what abuse the previous owner has put it through.

Thanks again.

• I have a DigiTech RP 360XP, and it's a really nice bit of kit. I'm not an expert and I don't have much experience with other multi-fx, but it's got some decent sounds and has been very easy to set up and use, which is what it was all about for me. (And I say that as someone utterly clueless about technological stuff, so high praise indeed!)

Currently I find I'm mostly using the built in effects on my Katana amp so it's not getting a lot of action aside from taking it to the odd rehearsal/jam when I can't be arsed bringing the Katana. I could be willing to sell it if you/your mate fancy it? Obviously would be a damn sight cheaper than buying it new, PM me if you're interested and we'll talk price.  :)

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited March 2018
    Depends whether you simply want effects or whether you also want amp modelling.  If the former then the Boss ME50 is a very practical and good sounding solution for effects but I really don't like its distortions that to my ears mostly feel and sound harsh and digital. I know that on paper they are supposed to have similar circuitry to the compact pedals but they just don't feel or sound the same. If you want multi-fx plus modelling and want to buy new, the Zoom G3xn would be a good option, plus it's very light and compact.  Modelling wise it's advertised with only 5 amp models but I believe this is now up to 10 that you can load down from the Zoom site, plus a range of additional effects and 'artist custom/signature' tones.

From the second-hand and reliability aspect, the Boss units are built like tanks as were the original Vox Tonelab SE and LE units (I have, and gig with both) - if you want modelling with great effects and superb gigability with wide parameter controls the Tonelab LE is hard to beat and can be picked up for around £120.  The TLSE is superb with A/B patch options and extra expression pedal - but it's a big and heavy beast - the LE is much more manageable. These may be older units but for quality of tone, gigability, parameter control and good modelling with a very realistic valve-amp feel & great tone, these old Tonelabs are hard to beat and I've not yet found anything better for the price. 

I've not tried the Boss GT1 but have owned a Boss BE5, GT3 and Boss GT6. I've also played a Boss GT8, GT10 and GT100 so Boss quality means its unlikely to be anything other than very solid & reliable. The effects in the GT3, GT6 etc are always good but the 'COSM' amp modelling from these older units sucks.

I've played lots of the Digitech MFX units inc the RP500 and RP1000 (but not the RP360XP) and I have mixed views on these.  I do like some of the features and switching options and some of the fx are very good, but tone quality is I find inconsistent.  Build quality (for me) is less than convincing and they can feel a bit 'cheap'. I also don't like Digitech's amp modelling that I find way too digital, or the aesthetic 'look' of their gear which can sometimes be very 'toyish' and 'boy-racer' looking rather than presenting themselves as a serious piece of kit.  The RP360XP looks OK though.   

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:

I've played lots of the Digitech MFX units inc the RP500 and RP1000 (but not the RP360XP) and I have mixed views on these.  I do like some of the features and switching options and some of the fx are very good, but tone quality is I find inconsistent.  Build quality (for me) is less than convincing and they can feel a bit 'cheap'. I also don't like Digitech's amp modelling that I find way too digital, or the aesthetic 'look' of their gear which can sometimes be very 'toyish' and 'boy-racer' looking rather than presenting themselves as a serious piece of kit.  The RP360XP looks OK though.   

From my experience, the RP360XP feels really nicely made. Nice solid, metal chassis and footswitch, including the expression pedal. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72488
    Voxman said:
    Depends whether you simply want effects or whether you also want amp modelling.  If the former then the Boss ME50 is a very practical and good sounding solution for effects but I really don't like its distortions that to my ears mostly feel and sound harsh and digital. I know that on paper they are supposed to have similar circuitry to the compact pedals but they just don't feel or sound the same.
    I'd agree about a good half of them, or more - but there are two in particular that are outstanding, the Natural (it really is) and the Loud. I've directly A/B'd these with some of my favourite analogue overdrive and distortion boxes, even including the valve-driven Mesa V-Twin, and the ME-50 sounded better than any of them except the V-Twin, which was a draw. Really!

The only slight annoyance is that both of these are in the 'Variation' bank, which is about the one thing that it *doesn't* remember when you turn the power off, so you have to remember to re-enable it every time or you get OD-1 and DS-1, which aren't too bad but not remotely as good as the other two. If you programme a patch with them it does remember though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks guys.

Anybody else with comments about the various options?