PSA: good prices on Supro

What's Hot
vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 92
hi guys,

I don’t know too much about Supro amps, but these seem to be priced well, currently half price but preorder:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/supro/amps/electric/combo/

Note: I have no affiliation with GG
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9720
    Arghhhhhhhhh noooooooooo
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Oh hell. I love Supro amps 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited March 2018
    How is this possible I wonder, is the "available to order" part an error and these are stock that have already sold? Good amps
    I've messaged them to ask if its an actual price or not...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    They replied to say the price you preorder at is the price you pay when they arrive... Also a couple of the guitars are at a very good price (£399) and in stock.

I wish I had room for the Super Coronado
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Good prices, although these are the 6L6 combos.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Sounds like they’ve made too many of a product no one wants. They’ve probably got a load of them sitting in the States and are offering them to stockists at discount to move them. JHS are the UK distributor for them so perhaps they’re holding some stock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Have I got my wires crossed?  Are these fairly cheaply built amps?
  • Modern day dilemma. New products have a short shelf life, they get released, promoted to hell, sell....get dumped. Look at Fenders website five years ago and see how much stuff isn’t there anymore. I guess it’s no big deal but you might be pissed if you paid full price for one of the Supros. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I was tempted just to try one out but I'm trying to be careful! I can't really fit it in the gear section of the house.
  • The new Supro Supreme is small enough to smuggle passed the mrs. And loud enough for a drummer. 1x10” speaker too. Dunno how they do that
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    edited March 2018
    £600, for this, is a good price?

http://i.imgur.com/ko2loCP.jpg

Just because they were ludicrously overpriced before doesn't make them bargains now.

I would say still slightly too expensive given the build quality, power and features.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    ICBM said:

Just because they were ludicrously overpriced before doesn't make them bargains now.

I would say still slightly too expensive given the build quality, power and features.
    Thanks to Spock: "It is not life a valve amplifier as we know or understand it. Yet it is obviously alive with speaker, it exists."
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    ICBM said:

Wisdom.

When stuff is marked down considerably it always draws attention but it does look a bit cheapo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I like them, but can disagree about the photos there of the inside design. It's annoying that it gets 'forgiven' because it's designed by Bruce Zinky and is made in the USA. Ho hum. I wouldn't mind if it were better made in China by robots but that kinda comment gets folks backs up sometimes.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    I don't doubt they sound great, the cabinets look very nice and I can't seen any reason they shouldn't be reliable - although I think the standby switch may be in the wrong place, so they could be hard on rectifier valves - they're not "badly made" in that sense. The wiring is a mess, but it's not a problem electrically.

But that's still a lot of money for a fairly cheaply-made, haphazardly-assembled, very simple amp like that. Even the reverb version - which clearly uses the same assembly down to the chassis and PCB as this one does, just with the components missing and the holes blanked off - isn't much better priced.

I hope not many people bought them at the full price, they will now be looking at a minimum two-thirds loss of value if they decide to sell, probably.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    I wish they had mounted the valve bases to the chassis  instead of the pcb. If you look at the new pro junior 4 with a similar  set up of just volume and tone it is close to the thunderbolt  on features although  much less powerfull.
    The pro junior  is about £525. I think £600 is closer to a fair rrp. You could  blow em out for £500. Do 45w amps with just 2 knobs really sell these days? I would be looking for more features  on such a large amp. Im very interested  in the tremo verb or comet however. Cant wait for them to sink some prices on those. Might grab one.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I plugged my Strat into a Supro whilst in Guitar Village and it sounded epic tbh, ok, it might not have the build quality of a Mesa Bad Cat etc but if it sounds good then surely that’s the important part. Would anyone buy an exquisitely made boutique amp if it sounded like balls ? Oh hang on, people actually do ;)
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    They made so many models and kept adding more, I can’t get my head around what to expect from a Supro, other than a very nice look and a high price.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Tried a few of the supros when they first got re-released. They were all dogshit. One of them that i tried rattled so badly that it was unusable, even at extremely low levels.

Supro - get back in the sea.