Bummer! Need to blow the GAS fund on a replacement Macbook :(

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
I can't deny it any longer, my old 2006 Macbook pro used pretty much every day of my life for 'music stuff' needs replacing. A right bummer as I'll have to raid the GAS fund, and looking on fleabay even 8 year old ones are bloody expensive. I'm always very wary of secondhand laptops, you never quite know what you are getting. Depressing ....
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4187
    PC World 0% Finance is probably your best bet but the 2016 MacBooks aren’t as versatile as the 2015 models
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I won't be able to get a new one, waaaaay to expensive. I'm thinking more like £500-£700 max secondhand to be honest. 
  • PabloPablo Frets: 38
    Could you put an SSD in to give it a new lease of life, or is it practically dead/unusable?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    edited March 2018
    12 years is a bloody good run for any computer. I’m still rocking a 2010 MBP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited March 2018
    Don't go mac so many cheaper and better options now ..  I went from mac to Windows 10 it's the quickest laptop i have ever used, 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Pablo said:
    Could you put an SSD in to give it a new lease of life, or is it practically dead/unusable?
    Basically the system is too old for the stuff I want to run, and the processor can no longer handle system upgrades. I've downloaded demos for two bits of software that I want to buy and neither will run on my laptop.
    edited March 2018
    Don't go mac I went from mac to Windows 10 it's the quickest laptop i have eve used, 

I'm not gonna knock PCs but I'm a mac man through and through both at work and in my spare time since the 80s. It could only be a mac for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    The only good PC is one with Linux on it. F__k Windoze. original MACs were OK, they had 68000s in them. Now the modern ones have Intels. How do you get away from Intel??
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460
    axisus said:
    I won't be able to get a new one, waaaaay to expensive. I'm thinking more like £500-£700 max secondhand to be honest. 
    Could get a quite a good new PC Windoze laptop for that.  Get a basic one for half that.
  • I have a 2015 MBP and I've had no problems with it. Fast as hell, makes my work PC seem like it's powered by clockwork.

It won't last 12 years without major Apple intervention though, as the battery is glued in... :/
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I’m still rocking my 2008 MBP. It had the RAM maxed out and has a SSD and can still run reaper and lightroom at acceptable speeds. I’m gonna be gutted when it goes!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793
    The only good PC is one with Linux on it. F__k Windoze. original MACs were OK, they had 68000s in them. Now the modern ones have Intels. How do you get away from Intel??
    Build a PC around an AMD processor, install Linux.

Job done.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4930
    Well, I was just in the position of needing new laptop for my new job and was looking at a Mac. Regardless of what folks say, they are the best made PCs on the market.

But then I intercepted some laptops being thrown out in my old job, so now I have a HP i7 with 32 GB and two SSDs! It's running Linux Mint now. (It was a similar price to a Mac.)

So I'm not needing a Mac no more.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Build a PC around an AMD processor, install Linux.

Job done.

AMD = as near as dammit Intel. ARM sbc + Linux is a better idea but you will end up building it yourself. There's nothing ready-made (AFAIK)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11879
    Not to start a PC vs Mac debate.  It is amazing from a pure observation that I, and plenty of others are rocking a decade old MBPs happily with no speed issues but I don't know anyone still rocking a 2008 windows laptop.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460
    Not to start a PC vs Mac debate.  It is amazing from a pure observation that I, and plenty of others are rocking a decade old MBPs happily with no speed issues but I don't know anyone still rocking a 2008 windows laptop.
    Depends what you want to do with it.

I had a 2010 MBP, and I was happy on Snow Leopard, but it wasn't compatible with the Kemper RIg Manager.  I was forced to "upgrade" the OS, and it made it significantly slower.

If you do want it to work with recent hardware, you can't use a 2008 Mac or PC.  At least the PC is half the price when you do have to bite the bullet and get a new one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4720
    I think part of the issue is many windows laptops were built to a price when they were new and it’s not always a fair comparison.

Every £400 - £500 Hp or similar laptop I’ve ever seen is a plastic pile of junk and all the ones I’ve had have developed problems.   Would be interesting to see how the higher end laptops fair, like the Microsoft ones.  Trouble is they end up costing as much as a MBP.

I’m going to get a MBP, but will probably wait until the next upgrade, hopefully the processors will get a bump.
    Indeed, My 2006 MBP is still fine for everything that I do - music recording and video editing, the only reason I need to upgrade is to use 'modern' software that won't run on Snow Leopard. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72445
    I assume you need the portability, and an iMac won't do?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    I assume you need the portability, and an iMac won't do?
    Yeah, has to be a laptop for multi locations