Strings question

ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
I've got 3 335s and I noticed that one seemed to have notably stiffer strings. But when I measure all 3 with a micrometer, they are all standard 10-46 gauge. I can tell the two thinner feeling ones are Daddario and Gibson Britewires by the ball ends colours. The mystery stiffer strings are silver ball ends.  Any ideas which string makers could it be?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    Why not just change the strings for a brand you prefer and resolve the issue?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Does one have a trapeze tailpiece?
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Which strings feel better to you? You only need to know the brand of the unidentified set if you really want to replace like for like.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited March 2018
    The stiffer ones feel better to me, and I assumed they were a larger gauge until I measured them. All three are hardtail not trapeze.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14455
    Not all string gauges are assembled equally. Some have more core mass and less wrap (or vice versa). Some manufacturers print tension load information on their set packaging.

On a set neck guitar, headstock pitch, neck pitch, bridge elevation and several tailpiece issues all contribute to the overall string tension. The whole point of the stop bar tailpiece is that you can raise or lower it to adjust the string tension.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited March 2018
    All three stopbars are tight to the body. I just wanted to know which string makers use silver ball ends?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    My first thought was Gibson, but you say not...

Newtones do, although they definitely don't feel stiff.

And at the other end of the price range, so do Alice strings!

What do the ball ends look like? (Other than being silver :).) Are they square-cornered, rounded, rounded with flat sides, or something else? Is  the silver very shiny 'chrome' looking, or duller 'nickel' looking?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein