Fret Sprout

HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 992
I guess it's the unusually low humidity, two of my guitars are exhibiting a little catch on the end of the frets as I play (fraction proud of the board edge), over pretty much the whole neck.  I suspect I'm not alone in this phenomemon?

The real question - should I give them a quick dress now?  If so, will they suck in next week when the weather's back to normal leaving a gap?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24811
    If you’re running central heating more than normal, the humidity will drop and potentially cause this issue.

Lightly dressing the ends won’t really do any harm (if you know what you’re doing and are careful) - but as you say - the issue may well right itself.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Leave it alone. That cold blast was unusually dry for this country. Normal service will be resumed this week and hopefully your guitar will return back to normal.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • Oh, I filed mine down on my Tele.  I didn't really think about it too much.

To be honest, I don't see how it can make a negative impact if the wood fills back out again.  I only took off the protruding bit of fret end, which had nothing to do with the playing surface of the fret either way, or the wood.  Would happily be corrected if I'm wrong, but it's too late to do anything about it now anyway!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Buy a humidifier or put a bowl of water near the radiators.
  • I have a humidifier and even I got a bit of neck shrinkage this week. I put the guitar in a case, with a damp sponge in a perforated plastic tub. It can go back on the wall again next week when the cold dry air has gone. 
  • Snow plays havoc with humidity levels. When the snow goes, things should improve.

Snow is melting here... and RH has already gone up by 6%

• WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    Oh, I filed mine down on my Tele.  I didn't really think about it too much.

To be honest, I don't see how it can make a negative impact if the wood fills back out again.  I only took off the protruding bit of fret end, which had nothing to do with the playing surface of the fret either way, or the wood.  Would happily be corrected if I'm wrong, but it's too late to do anything about it now anyway!
    It’s fine.  Personally, I like to get them when they are protruding most.