Luminlay Installation Cost?

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
Has anyone had Luminlay side dots installed on a guitar and could give me an idea of how much someone would charge to install them?

I emailed a shop to ask but they haven't got back to me yet.

Incidentally, does anyone know anywhere in Glasgow that does this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    @FelineGuitars isn't in Glasgow but might be able to help, as might @ICBM ;
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    Should be a fairly straightforward install if they don’t balls up the finish, so expect it to come in at £2 million.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26623
    I did it myself...turns out it's pretty easy (even starting from a position of "zero skill", like me). Lots of techs won't even do it - I got knocked back three or four times before I decided to do it myself.
    <space for hire>
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    The luminlay material is shockingly expensive (although very good) but it's the same process to inlay as other side marker materials. I fit it quite often.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I did it myself...turns out it's pretty easy (even starting from a position of "zero skill", like me). Lots of techs won't even do it - I got knocked back three or four times before I decided to do it myself.
    Really? Did they give a reason they wouldn't do it?
    The luminlay material is shockingly expensive (although very good) but it's the same process to inlay as other side marker materials. I fit it quite often.
    Could you tell me roughly how much that would be?
    thegummy said:
    Really? Did they give a reason they wouldn't do it?
    Two of them said they didn't want to risk wrecking the dots (not a great reference for their service, I think) and the other guy just flatly refused and wouldn't give a reason even after a second request saying I wouldn't hold him responsible if it went a bit wrong.

Happily, though, it turns out it's pretty easy.
    <space for hire>
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited March 2019
    thegummy said:
    Could you tell me roughly how much that would be?
    I'd be interested to know as well and does it matter what the guitar is i.e. Strat, LP and the board material?
    edited April 2019
    I managed to get mine from the Japan shop and it cost about £30 including delivery and one of their Luminlay mini-torches.

Installation prices seem to have gone up in the last year and I was recently quoted £50 on a bass, but fair play, there's a good few hours work there.
    EDIT: I went ahead and had it done on my bass and got it back sameday - looks great
    FYI, you don't need the mini torch - most decent phones will do the same job just as well with the torch on.

I found that the mini torches tend to unscrew themselves and spray the batteries everywhere if you keep them on your keyring, which is the only way I can guarantee that I won't forget it :P
    <space for hire>
    FYI, you don't need the mini torch - most decent phones will do the same job just as well with the torch on.

I found that the mini torches tend to unscrew themselves and spray the batteries everywhere if you keep them on your keyring, which is the only way I can guarantee that I won't forget it :P
    Thanks Lee and good to know :)

Never tried my phone, will need to see if it works.

I keep the torch in my bass case.
    Re: the installation, the guy who did mine was happy to do it but did warn me that this kind of job could possibly leave problems with the finish around the dots, possibly why others were scared to do it.

Turns out he did a perfect job and the bass is flawless.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3324
    I used to just dab on glow in dark nail varnish. Granted it was a strat and I didn’t care about it much other than not getting stolen.