Digitech Drop reliable?

ijontyijonty Frets: 32
I'm playing a gig soon where I need to swap between normal and down half a step quite a lot. Only got one guitar, so is this a good option? I'm presuming they don't sound as good as actually re-tuning your guitar?

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    ijonty said:
    I'm playing a gig soon where I need to swap between normal and down half a step quite a lot. Only got one guitar, so is this a good option? I'm presuming they don't sound as good as actually re-tuning your guitar?
    You would be surprised... the guitarist in my band has one, and I would say that if you don't go below about two full tones down it's more or less indistinguishable from down-tuning, especially with a bit of dirt on - maybe even more, but we don't play that low. It's excellent.

The only problem we found with it is that it's very bad for leaking noise into other pedals (especially fuzz) on the same power supply - even with an isolated output it wasn't silent. The only way to cure it completely was to use its own mains power supply separate from the rest of the board.

And the 'momentary' setting is a pain in the arse if you accidentally set it like that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    Thanks @ICBM ,  sounds like it could be what I need.

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
  • I use a Pitch Fork to tune down a tone, and it sounds badass through distortion. 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    ICBM said:
    ijonty said:
    You would be surprised... the guitarist in my band has one, and I would say that if you don't go below about two full tones down it's more or less indistinguishable from down-tuning, especially with a bit of dirt on - maybe even more, but we don't play that low. It's excellent.

The only problem we found with it is that it's very bad for leaking noise into other pedals (especially fuzz) on the same power supply - even with an isolated output it wasn't silent. The only way to cure it completely was to use its own mains power supply separate from the rest of the board.

And the 'momentary' setting is a pain in the arse if you accidentally set it like that...
    What's it like for doing fake bass sounds?  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    bingefeller said:

What's it like for doing fake bass sounds?  
    No idea, never tried it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein