Round Mains Power Inlet a la the US - UK IEC Kettle Lead Style... any ideas

What's Hot
BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4846
Looking for a round mains inlet for a pedal board, I tried Google with the only result being these US style plugs for those round holes you see in some of the Trailer Trash type boards etc. like this:

Any ideas if or where there are any IEC style/Kettle Lead connectors that are made in a similar style, all I can find are the usual square looking types with tabs rather than a round socket as above. Don't want to buy these US ones as they are rated around half of UK voltage, although a PSU won't draw huge current I'd rather not risk it.Thanks

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    If you want to keep it legal there aren't many choices in 3-pin mains-rated connectors now.

An IEC C5/C6 'cloverleaf' connector should fit a round hole, although the ones I've seen need two screw holes to the sides as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4846
    edited March 2018
    Cheers @ICBM , I was secretly hoping you would know of an alternative perhaps. I'll have a look and see what's what, I'd sooner keep it legal as that also will be "safe", some of the mains wiring I've come across just now from the US scares me somewhat!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28505
    edited March 2018
    How about Neutrik Powercons?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited March 2018
    Yeah I looked at them, they look great although my only concern is needing a specific cable as opposed to your common and garden Kettle Lead. Although I suppose a similar issue exists with the IEC C5/6 too.... hmmmm decisions decisions...!

edited March 2018
    Ah - so ideally a C14 in a round shell?
    edited March 2018
    Yep, that would be perfect... but all I can find is these.....

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5389
    Boromedic said:
    Yeah I looked at them, they look great although my only concern is needing a specific cable as opposed to your common and garden Kettle Lead. Although I suppose a similar issue exists with the IEC C5/6 too.... hmmmm decisions decisions...!
    IEC C5 leads are common as muck; pretty much every laptop AC adapter uses them, and a bunch of other stuff besides. If you're concerned about losing one or not having enough available, I've got boxes of the damn things at work, and would happily send you a few so you could stash them at strategic points around the country :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Boromedic said:
    C5s are very common, just find a laptop power supply... most of them have a separate cable with one. Powercons are a lot rarer, I've actually never come across one on any equipment yet.

How big is the round hole? That may dictate the choice anyway.

I would definitely keep it legal. There are a few options from the past that were rated for mains and aren't now, but for valid reasons and I would steer clear if you want to use it anywhere it may need to pass a PAT test or where you may need public liability insurance.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Lol, bless you mate appreciate the offer! I was just thinking about the ubiquitous kettle lead vs the C5, I know most laptops have them so at least I wouldn't be stuck compared to the Neutrik ones.... Still they are pretty similar to the kettle lead connectors in design, I'll keep looking and thanks again!

ICBM said:

Powercons are a lot rarer, I've actually never come across one on any equipment yet.
    I have, but I'm buggered if I can remember where, and I think it was only twice.

I used them on the CNC machine when I rewired it all, just for the mains feed to the router.
    edited March 2018
    Think I'll just go with this to save the hassle, it's only vanity that is stopping me to be fair and it has a built in filter! Can't argue with that and the price/simplicity... nay mind eh. I'd sooner be safe though than look good! Thanks guys...