What’s your favourite drive pedal?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Currently use an ocd for distortion. I'm mainly using a clean deluxe style amp so it stacks into an RC boost. 

Not in love with it to be honest. Much prefer boosting an already clipping amp for distortion but im trying not to obsess about it  otherwise I'm gonna end up chaining 15 various low gains and od pedals in a never ending vortex of expense and hair splitting.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I've been using an OD-3 and a v1 Crunchbox for quite a while now. They work well enough that I've not really been tempted to try anything else for ages.
    I also like how with Boss pedals they're very easy to locate and hit without looking down at your feet, whilst singing lead vocals!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Either my original Mk 1 Marshall Guv'nor or my Dirty Little Secret Mk 2. The TC Spark Boost and the Wampler Euphoria also get a look in.
  • Trude said:
    I've been using an OD-3 and a v1 Crunchbox for quite a while now. They work well enough that I've not really been tempted to try anything else for ages.
    I also like how with Boss pedals they're very easy to locate and hit without looking down at your feet, whilst singing lead vocals!
    I’d like to try the OD-3, definitely on my wanted list
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    Klone
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Brunetti Mercury Box 2 has become the one!

gain 1 - I keep the gain low for my main rhythm tone, it’s a kind of beefy mid gain sound, quite similar to an OCD in LP mode but with the added 2 band EQ.

gain 2 - I pump the gain up on this channel and then just add a little of the mid boost. Pure Brunetti high gain, smooth, rich and easy to play.

the two band EQ is global and the gains aren’t stacked, but I kind of like it that way.

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Dopesick said:
    Up until two weeks ago it was the Amptweaker Fat Metal...

It has now been surpassed by the VHD Distortion from S&K pedals - based heavily on the old Ampeg VH140C amps. It's just absolutely killer. Paired with my Pharaoh it's just nnnnnnnggghhhh. Just wish it had a different orientation in the footprint.
    @Dopesick ;dude...that VHD pedal sounds great on the demo's...proper distortion pedal!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Analog Alien Joe Walsh Double Classic - Tweed Deluxe and compressor all in one - simple, beautiful sound. If I want more Marshall style grunt then I use the Analog Alien Rumble Seat - fiery!
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 337
    After never touching a fuzz pedal at any point during the last 25 years, I played through a ThorpyFX Veteran last week (in anger, I might add) and I'm now a total convert. Completely amazing pedal.

And my good old Digitech Whammys...don't know where I'd be without them!
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    clarkefan said:
    Currently Boss GE-7.
    Try the Source Audio programmable eq - basically GE-7 with 4 presets inc overall output - midi selectable - brilliant kit for boost / od  + much more 
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    current goto is a Fredric FX Bluesbreaker clone with KOT mod - sits well on a clean channel to give a nice marshallesque crunch .. 
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Slimbert said:
    After never touching a fuzz pedal at any point during the last 25 years, I played through a ThorpyFX Veteran last week (in anger, I might add) and I'm now a total convert. Completely amazing pedal.

And my good old Digitech Whammys...don't know where I'd be without them!
    The veteran is a very impressive pedal. Including cleans, drive, punch and full out fuzz. 
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    Mad Professor Bluebird. Just seems to cut like a knife through butter, has just the right amount of volume and gain with a built in delay if you like just a dash for a bit of ambience.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited April 2018
    samzadgan said:
    Dopesick said:
    Up until two weeks ago it was the Amptweaker Fat Metal...

It has now been surpassed by the VHD Distortion from S&K pedals - based heavily on the old Ampeg VH140C amps. It's just absolutely killer. Paired with my Pharaoh it's just nnnnnnnggghhhh. Just wish it had a different orientation in the footprint.
    @Dopesick ;;dude...that VHD pedal sounds great on the demo's...proper distortion pedal!
    Yeah it does! As much as I like amp gain this thread's got me curious about trying some new dirt pedals again. Something about fancy distortion pedals always pulls me in.

The demos of that Brunetti pedal sound awesome as well.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    Yeah the VHD distortion is truly outstanding. I mean....I LOVE the Amptweaker metal pedals and thought they couldn't be beat, but this has just about surpassed them for me. Just cuts through like a knife every time.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited April 2018
    JMP220478 said:
    clarkefan said:
    Currently Boss GE-7.
    Try the Source Audio programmable eq - basically GE-7 with 4 presets inc overall output - midi selectable - brilliant kit for boost / od  + much more 
    Unfortunately the midi implementation on that pedal is really screwed up, which is a shame as it's a great idea. Best alternative is a Zoom Multistomp which has a EQ as one of its effects and can also be controlled by midi.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited April 2018
    I still think for me the Goosoniqueworx 7thvn. I’m just rebuilding my board atm to include an MS3 switcher.

To save space, I decided to replace the 7thvn with a Friedman BE-OD. But after a week of playing with them. The 7thvn sounds more amp-like & has a lot more low end. I’ve concluded if a famous player was using them. They’d be £1500 on Ebay by now. 
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940

I don't miss my Zvex Double Rock at all, maybe the SHO section? but it was a real pain in the arse to set up during rehearsals, it seemed to have way too much output and it was just too sensitive, I felt I was constantly fighting with it. Anyone else have this with the Double Rock?   

No, but I do have a ZVex Fat Fuzz Factory that suffers from exactly the same problems; it's overly sensitive when dialling-in and it's mentally loud!

Still a lot of fun if you take it for what it is though...
    If only they'd used a log pot for the volume control. It makes it so much easier to use.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....