Andertons Marshall Origin Video Up

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Plectrum said:
    IMC1980 said:
    I skipped through all the bollocks that made up most of this video, did they only do the "everything on 10" test using the 5w combo?! Surely that should have been a job for the 50w head through a 4x12...
    Maybe they value their hearing?
    They could have used earplugs or a really long lead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    timmysoft said:

Isn’t the JCA closer to the Hotrod 50 than SLO?

The JCA heads I’ve owned were good but nowhere near the SLO for depth of tone, but what do you expect for under £300!
    Yes, but the Hotrod is also based on the SLO.

I disagree about them being nowhere near the same for depth of tone - the guitarist in the band I play in had both a real SLO and a JCA50 at the same time, and although there was a difference, it was not that big.

Did you have the bright caps snipped on the JCs? That does make a big difference. My best guess is that Soldano fitted them on purpose to stop the JC being so obviously nearly identical to the SLO :).

Given the literally 10:1 price difference between the SLO and the JC, it might have been a bit embarrassing otherwise...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    ICBM said:
    timmysoft said:

Isn’t the JCA closer to the Hotrod 50 than SLO?

The JCA heads I’ve owned were good but nowhere near the SLO for depth of tone, but what do you expect for under £300!
    Yes, but the Hotrod is also based on the SLO.

I disagree about them being nowhere near the same for depth of tone - the guitarist in the band I play in had both a real SLO and a JCA50 at the same time, and although there was a difference, it was not that big.

Did you have the bright caps snipped on the JCs? That does make a big difference. My best guess is that Soldano fitted them on purpose to stop the JC being so obviously nearly identical to the SLO :).

Given the literally 10:1 price difference between the SLO and the JC, it might have been a bit embarrassing otherwise...
    I’d still say the SLO smokes the JCA, mainly because it’s more expensive which means it’s loads better.

i didn’t try the SLO and JCA at the same time, but I did try the JCA andHOTROD+ At the same time and the soldano sounded far better, it just had something the JCA lacked. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    timmysoft said:

i didn’t try the SLO and JCA at the same time, but I did try the JCA andHOTROD+ At the same time and the soldano sounded far better, it just had something the JCA lacked. 
    I would actually agree with that. They did sound very similar, but the SLO had an extra ‘thing’ that I think went beyond it just being twice as powerful. Small difference, but one that does matter.

Like a lot of these things... you can spend ten times as much to get a 10% improvement, but that 10% is the difference that counts once you’ve heard it.

I still think the Jet City sounds better than almost anything else in either its price bracket or several times higher though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    I have the Jet City single channel 20w Combo, I swapped the speaker for an Eminence Private Jack, only because I had it lying around. The stock speaker sounded just as good if I'm being honest, I just can't be bothered with the faff of swapping it back again.

It's a cracker of an amp, nice reverb too. A bit basic for some but all I need, proper old school.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    My Son plays originals in a band using his Katana 100 combo and it sounds great.

I lent him my JCA22H the other day to have a go with his first 'valve' amp and it has yet to come back to me :(

He adores the sound, specifically the small complex harmonics which make up the sound that are missing from the excellent Katana.

I use a volume pedal in the loop and have both masters maxed.  Epic piece of kit.  I just want it back ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom