Is this a good deal for a Gibson 2015 Les Paul Less Plus

What's Hot
BluebeardBluebeard Frets: 228
£500 for a new Gibson 2015 Les Paul Less Plus complete with robot tuners, dodgy nut etc. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gibson-LPLP15HSNH1-Less-Electric-Guitar/dp/B00NAVTVQA/ref=sr_1_1?m=ALJV2PISEW1RV&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1520513884&sr=1-1&refinements=p_4%3AGibson&dpID=31BJY4El5EL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Has anybody played one? Are the 2015 upgrades/features really that bad?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11493
    edited March 2018

I know someone who has one.  I think she paid full price for it.  I never had the heart to tell her how much they were getting blown out for in the Black Friday sale that year.  This is cheaper still!  She seems happy with it though.

The original nut/zero fret thing was a problem as it was too soft.  I know Gibson were providing a titanium replacement for it, which seems to be better.

The other things are mainly a matter of personal preference.  Some people like the wide neck - others don't.

Again, some people seem to like the robo-tuners while others don't.  At that price you could buy it and replace them with conventional tuners if you want.  You would get something back on the robo-tuners on Feebay so it wouldn't cost you a fortune.

No-one seems to like the dodgy Les Paul 100 signature.  Some people are willing to put up with it, while other think it's so hideous that it puts them off the guitar completely.  Given that you are asking the question you probably aren't one of those who thinks it's so hideous that you wouldn't buy the guitar.  Alternatively, you could always buy it and put a piece of tape over the signature!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Sold by a company with no feedback...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7819
    The 2015's are fine.

The robo tuners work well, the neck is fine for me, I actually like it. Gibson wil lreplace the dodgy nut for a proper one for free on proof of purchase and t's fine.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BluebeardBluebeard Frets: 228
    edited March 2018
    Jack_ said:
    Yeah I have to say that and the low price makes me worried! They don't seem to sell any other guitars on the storefront either. Isn't it still safer going through amazon then ebay, gumtree etc?
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1134
    these routinely go for about £600 used on Ebay, so £500 for a new one is a good buy.

no idea about the seller though...

Thanks for all your advice. I have just ordered it after some consultation and finally approval from the wife. I have always wanted a Gibson Les Paul and although ideally I wouldn't have picked this thinner model or the tuners I do like the look. Fingers crossed this is a genuine brand new guitar and not Bstock or used etc. I have had good experience with Amazons refund policy in the past so I am confident I can return it if there is something wrong. I am going to give it a thorough inspection and post some pics here when it arrives.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2347
    Amazon's service is stellar. They will help you no matter what.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7819
    Hope you love it! The Tuners are really easy to remove and change if you need to as well.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8831
    Looks great.  Amazon are virtually bomb proof in their customer service.  I've recently acquired one of the much-reviled 2015 models in the form of an LP double cut and think it's pretty good, especially for the money.  I've got Grovers on order because the automatic tuners bug me, and have the replacement titanium nut that Gibson send out on request so if I get issues with the brass one it should be an easy swap.  Otherwise it's a cracking guitar, with the niggles easily remediable, and a cracking deal for you.  Enjoy!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    That looks like a good deal.

One of the reviews made me laugh:
    "It's a Gibson, what else is there to say?"

Not someone off here then! :lol: :lol: 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What happens to the titanium nut?
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2708
    Looks like a scam. These were 7-8 during the black friday sales if I recall correctly. NOT sold by amazon.
    What happens to the titanium nut?
    It gets inserted at the end of the fretboard to replace the factory brass nut.  The brass one is the problem in some cases: the metal is relatively soft and gets worn away/scored pretty quickly, especially with protracted use of the robot tuners.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Looks like a scam. These were 7-8 during the black friday sales if I recall correctly. NOT sold by amazon.
    Yes.  I 'got' a Jazzmaster with Bigsby for some stupidly low price.  Or rather, didn't :(

No probs as Amazon refunded the dosh within a day or two.  I don't think this LP is so stupidly cheap as to scream obvious scam.  Hope not, anyway.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7094
    tFB Trader
    martinw said:

One of the reviews made me laugh:
    "It's a Gibson, what else is there to say?"

Not someone off here then! :lol: :lol: 
    I suppose you could take that either way.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7094
    tFB Trader
    Jack_ said:
    Should the fact that they are also selling camera lenses raise a red flag? 
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1044

I got one of these from amazon on their 2016 black Friday blow out - I quite liked it in all respects except for the shoulders on the neck profile made it more D change that I'm comfortable with, the only other criticism I had was the thinner body does not really drop the weight of the guitar that much, however on the upside neither did it make the guitar sound any different from a full fat LP.

Ultimately I moved it on as I did not gel with the neck profile but it was still a good guitar and I hope you love it! :)

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    If it does indeed arrive, let us know what the balance is like!

edited March 2018
    No idea. There is an ebay store with the same name as well but no link in terms of what items are being sold. It is ringing alarm bells that would put me way off if this was on ebay.

Hope you love it! The Tuners are really easy to remove and change if you need to as well.
    Thanks. I hoping the quick tuning will give me the urge to learn some rolling stones

JerkMoans said:
    Looks great.  Amazon are virtually bomb proof in their customer service.  I've recently acquired one of the much-reviled 2015 models in the form of an LP double cut and think it's pretty good, especially for the money.  I've got Grovers on order because the automatic tuners bug me, and have the replacement titanium nut that Gibson send out on request so if I get issues with the brass one it should be an easy swap.  Otherwise it's a cracking guitar, with the niggles easily remediable, and a cracking deal for you.  Enjoy!
    Cheers

Yeah I am really nervous

I got one of these from amazon on their 2016 black Friday blow out - I quite liked it in all respects except for the shoulders on the neck profile made it more D change that I'm comfortable with, the only other criticism I had was the thinner body does not really drop the weight of the guitar that much, however on the upside neither did it make the guitar sound any different from a full fat LP.

Ultimately I moved it on as I did not gel with the neck profile but it was still a good guitar and I hope you love it!

Thanks

rico said:
    If it does indeed arrive, let us know what the balance is like!

Will do