1962 vintage correct Strat

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    GSPBASSES said:

Although I have been thinking of building myself a Les Paul, or a Tele or a LPJ  DC, can't make up my mind.
    One of each sounds good!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8724
    ... i think a modern twist on vintage stuff is what interests ...

That’s my view too. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader

Earlier on in this post I mentioned I purchased some very old rosewood blanks, I was going to turn into fingerboards. While I was at David Dykes I mentioned to him that I wanted some rosewood neck blanks. I got a call from him to say he sorted out some Rosewood that should be suitable the neck blanks. Out I go to David's, indeed he had found some beautiful Rosewood, now bear in mind I've only got two Rosewood necks on order. Having discussed this with my customer I was going to have a look at some Rosewood from Madagascar. Hoping it would be somewhat cheaper than Indian Rosewood. I did buy two neck blanks that were thick enough so I could slice the fingerboard of the plank. Madagascar rosewood is very difficult to get hold of, I think it's was on the banned list long before  current ban on Rosewood movement. The stuff that David has got is really old. He has got several more blocks, they look very different to the blocks that I purchased, they have very wide stripes of light brown dark brown.

The Indian Rosewood neck blanks I've purchased come from the same place as the blocks of Indian Rosewood I purchased last week, so this Rosewood is also over 70 years old. The bad news, spent a fortune on the Indian Rosewood. Now I need to decide what to do with it, I could just sit on it (not literally) and wait for the price of Indian Rosewood to go through the roof, that in all honesty it's already happening.  I could make some necks from it sometime in the not too distant future. I still have the Rosewood T/C I made a few years ago, I also have two pieces of Rosewood big enough to make 2 more T/C's, or 1 T/C and 1 Strat. Anybody fancy commissioning some thing Rosewood, you will have to have pretty deep pockets for a body and a neck.

Indian Rosewood on the left. I should be able to get one neck, and several fingerboards out of each piece. The neck blanks on the rights are from Madagascar, the plank in front of them is the slice I took off the original plank, that will now become fingerboards. If you look at the neck blank on the far right, that is the colour of the outside of the board. The neck blank next to it is the inner cut, as is the plank in front. The light brown should go to the darker colour over time. This is very unusual looking as it's not very stripey and really tight grained for Rosewood from Madagascar.  

These are all very old Indian Rosewood neck blanks, much denser than the Rosewood that is currently available.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    Sorry the above is posted in the wrong place, should have been in the post "Back in the workshop"

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    I was at David dykes today and bought some madagascan that he had, I also took a great chunk of cocobolo for him to slice up, it came from him originally

I've spent a fortune on rosewood with him and think I'm addicted, he does have some great wood knocking about
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)