NGD Plastic Fantastic

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
Just received a nice new 'plastic' guitar. Sounds great and looks cool as f**k, pics to follow...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    Stupidly low action and very loud acoustically, that will be my Saturday afternoon sorted!

https://i.imgur.com/CHV5n6n.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7847
    Hey, that's really cool. Love anything vaguely art deco, something about it appeals to the logical male brain :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    My mate when I was 14 had an older sister at University and one of her housemates had an original red one and was raving about it. He collected guitars back then, around '86 it would have been and so me and my mate Chris would go and hassle him to try stuff out.

Wanted one for a while and so as they are now being sold off cheap, I had to try one for myself
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7169
    it's cool, but what actually is it?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8831
    tony99 said:
    it's cool, but what actually is it?
    I was pondering that very question.  Looks a bit like a Supro, but don't think it is.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    It's a Supro Dual Tone and is a reissue of the original vintage guitars by Valco, they all came out at NAMM last year priced at around £800 plus!

Picked this up for half that new, as they must be having issues with pricing them too high in today's already saturated new guitar market. So I paid £399 and it feels a lot more than that in build quality terms.

Super low action has a zero fret and so makes action really nice. The knobs are well below the strings, so no hitting them when you strum and it has a quality feel to it i.e. resonates a lot and very loud acoustically.

Construction is more sturdy than the old one I played back in the '80s, the neck is straight and has a good connection to the main body, tuners are smooth and hold tuning well. Both these things were issues on the vintage one I played.

Single-coil pickups each with own Volume and Tone, plus a Master Volume for both. I will be experimenting with these over the weekend.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    Is it made of tone plastic?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yup, recycled dildos or something like that
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    stonevibe said:
    Yup, recycled dildos or something like that
    Lols, what makes it so resonant if it's plastic do you think???
    Mahogany back and neck, think the bridge and tailpiece help as well though. It's essentially a hollow guitar and so vibrates nicely. 
    you chose well =)
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2336
    I've read there's a Bowie version coming out, with a Bigsby, like the one he used on the reality tour.

Keefy said:
    I've read there's a Bowie version coming out, with a Bigsby, like the one he used on the reality tour.

Yeah, they look cool and I would love one, just think they will be pretty expensive because of the Bowie connection/marketing.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2336
    stonevibe said:
    Keefy said:

Yeah, they look cool and I would love one, just think they will be pretty expensive because of the Bowie connection/marketing.
    Just found the mention in the current Guitarist Mag (April 2018, p.97) - RRP of the Bowie model will be £1,099!
    I think a Bigsby would be awkward on these, so will stick with the stop tail for now. The Bowie one looks really pretty though, in an oddball way.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2970
    tFB Trader
    Nice score, always liked the looks of these. A nicely different ngd.
  • JEPBLEPJEPBLEP Frets: 188
    Ah man, I've been GASing over this exact one, particularly when I saw the price drop. How is the neck/playability? 
    JEPBLEP said:
    Ah man, I've been GASing over this exact one, particularly when I saw the price drop. How is the neck/playability? 
    It is a slim C profile neck, vintage frets and very, very low action. It is nice having decent truss rod on these modern versions and the neck joint is solid as a rock.

Easy to play, great for chords and easy to bend strings, even with the low action/vintage fret combination.

No rattles, dead spots or buzzing anywhere on the neck of mine, which surprised me as I was ready for a 'compromise' with this guitar, so was pleasantly surprised.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9961
    The Bowie one is a different beast I think, I have the Eastwood Airline reissue version in blue and it's a very different shape and much smaller body to hold. The Eastwood one is also considerably cheaper than the Supro one will be, they do a white one the same without the bigsby. I got mine for £280 direct in the black Friday madness. If I'd known the Supros like the OP has acquired were going to be reduced it might have changed my mind on a couple of guitar choices including that one though as I think they are probably better quality!

Here's mine (not plastic though) just for more retro art deco fun...
    https://i.imgur.com/Y9EnbKH.jpg

Enjoy your new Supro! From a fellow plastic guitar fan
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Saw these in Andertons today, in fact you can't really miss them as they are slap bang in front of you when you walk in. Interesting range, all reduced down to a very resonable price. Reminds me a bit of when Vox flogged off their 33 / 55 range, nicely made guitars those.