Anyone using a Yamaha Revstar?

What's Hot
spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
How is it?.....say compared to the original SG series?

Mac Mini M1
Presonus Studio One V5
 https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
 https://twitter.com/spark240
 Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
Reddit r/newmusicreview 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    As an SG2000 user I'd say the SG2k is superior. I kind of liked the Revstar 620 when I tried it at the Guitar Show but it wasn't the kind of instrument that made me think I ought to ditch the SG2k for it. If I couldn't afford or find an SG2k I might go for the Revstar, but as I've got one (and a LP, and an SG) I don't think I need a Revstar as well. However in the absence of any of those I think a Revstar would be near the top of my list.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14452
    Not tried a Revstar but, based on the construction details alone, no Revstar model can be a direct substitute for the SG1000/2000 and nor should it be expected to be. Buy one of each.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3876
    Love the look of them. Picked one up - almost dropped it, it was so heavy.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    To defend the Revstar, they do feel good to play and you can get some nice sounds out of them. I'd quite like to be in a position to buy one of each, as per @Funkfingers :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2956
    Don't forget you can still get hold of the SG - the SG1820/1802, even if they are pricey, they're like Custom Shop quality. Some of the Revstars are MiJ, and as such they may be very well finished, and rival SG quality. I've certainly heard good things about them.

But, even though I love Yamaha (I've owned two SG, and have one currently), I'd probably buy a Reverend Sensei over the Revstar. Especially one with Railhammer pickups; to me the Sensei has a bit more character. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    edited March 2018
    Cool ...I like the Bigsby look as well...I have SG1500 & 3000 now, but for the £££ the Revs look good 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • I’m on the look out for the P90 version. Great guitar, I spent ages playing one in Yamaha last year. I tried the humbucker models and although the neck/feel was still great the pickups didn’t work for me. 

Second hand values are pretty soft so it’s a low risk purchase to get one without playing it first. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14452
    I have considered buying the bottom-of-the-range Revstar model to house my Oil City Winterizer II pickups. I do not doubt the build quality on this series. I suspect that my ego demands something American or, possibly, British.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    I've only played one - the two-humbucker RS320 model - and it was, quite frankly, crap. Too heavy, lumpy feeling, dull sounding and with no character, and this particular one needed a fairly major fret dress to even make it playable since it had an s-bend in the neck that the truss rod couldn't sort. Not even close to as good as a SG series, old or new. Other models and examples may vary...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader
    I've played a mij one and I thought it was great.

I used to own an sg1000 and there wasn't much in it.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    edited March 2018
    The MIJ model looks sweet. Only seen that style of metallic finish on Nik Huber models prior. Very cool. 

Price has gone up a lot since release mind you. And I’d like a Bigsby option on that one. But still a lotta guitar for the money...
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    edited March 2018
    The SG1000 is my favorite solidbody, and I briefly owned a Revstar RSP20CR (the MIJ model). Quality was superb, and it was a fine-sounding, great-playing guitar—more midrangy and raw-sounding compared to the fuller, richer SG1000. I ended up selling the Revstar as I preferred the SG1000’s sound and I strongly prefer a 2-volume/2-tone control setup to master volume/master tone. I also wasn’t enamored of the Revstar's looks.

All that said, if you’re looking for a lighter alternative to an SG1000/SG2000/Les Paul and don’t mind a master volume/master tone, the RSP20CR is a fine guitar. I bought mine (used, but barely) here in the States for just under US$1000 and sold it for the same, and I think that’s a bargain for the quality and sound.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    My '86 SG2000s weighs nearly 10lbs - anyone know how much Revstars weigh?

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    My '86 SG2000s weighs nearly 10lbs - anyone know how much Revstars weigh?

I didn’t weigh mine, but it was noticeably lighter than an SG2000—I’d guess on the order of 8 pounds.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    ICBM said:
    I've only played one - the two-humbucker RS320 model - and it was, quite frankly, crap. Too heavy, lumpy feeling, dull sounding and with no character, and this particular one needed a fairly major fret dress to even make it playable since it had an s-bend in the neck that the truss rod couldn't sort. Not even close to as good as a SG series, old or new. Other models and examples may vary...
    I’ve had five minutes on a couple and my whelm was under. Seemed very budget to me. I really like the look ( even if they did nick it from Reverend) so it was a bit dissapointing. I’m sure if I was given one I’d learn to love it but initial impressions were poor. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    they look rather Les Paul Junior territory to me...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>