Problems with supply of Dimarzio pickups

What's Hot
Anyone else waiting for one? I ordered an SDS-1 online back in mid December from a UK retailer whose web site claimed it was in stock. They later contacted me to say that was an error (blaming the UK distributor), that it wasn't in stock, and gave a delivery date to me of the end on January. That day came and went, so after giving them a few days grace I contacted them to be told 3-4 weeks (i.e. end of Feb). Well, currently still no pickup, so is this usual with Dimarzio products/ their UK distributor, or is the retailer just messing me around? Is anyone else currently in the same position? As the retailer hasn't supplied the product in a timely fashion, and hasn't kept me informed (I've had to chase them for information) I'm minded to cancel the order and try something else.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Contact the distributor. Then you’ll have the answer direct from the source
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Contact Headstock UK although I know at least one stockist who has given up on DiMarzio because of the distributor
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7036
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    I ordered custom pickups via the distributor and it took forever. When they did arrive in UK they sent one to another customer so had to wait even longer!

I was lucky that I had a patient customer.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    That's a problem? The less Dimarzio pickups around the better ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I kind of agree with this.
    I've never really like DiMarzio pickups, except for their paf, I do like that.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @meltedbuzzbox ;   I didn't know they did a paf. I bought an SG years ago which had super distortions in it. It wasn't long before they got replaced with Seymour Duncans
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    Yes the new Distributors are pretty shoddy for anything other than what they stock, so anything custom order or none stock you have a loooooooooong wait.
    We have bucket loads of them in stock, all new and unopened (except where a change of cover is required on a Strat / Rail Pickup) Just ask and i'll let you know stock & pricing.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    edited March 2018
    I've bought a few from Thomann in the past and they arrived with the usual Thomann quick delivery. I would check if their website says it is in stock and order from them if it is as in my experience they don't seem to tell porkies about their stock levels.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    I kind of agree with this.
    I've never really like DiMarzio pickups, except for their paf, I do like that.
    I'm a big fan of the Pre B1 tele bridge and FS1 in a strat bridge, I also like the SDS1 for a strat neck.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Thread hijack - has anyone got some dimarzio Evo pickups they want to sell?

and now, back to the thread. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited March 2018
    Oh slight update, I have the bridge now which is awesome - anyone got a black neck Evo? Sorry about this Caspercaster!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Damn it @viz, get your own thread!  ;)  But at least you're getting the pickups that you are after!

Thanks to everyone for their input - it's good to know I can try StormshadowGuitars if I want to order a Dimarzio in the future - I wasn't aware I could get them from you.

So, despite a few emails, and in fairness, prompt responses, I haven't got a definite date for delivery of the SDS-1 that I ordered, but the retailer was prompt to offer both an apology and a refund, so I've accepted both.

I suspect most of the blame lies either with the UK distributor or Dimarzio themselves, but three months is a joke for a standard pickup. It's a shame as I've had a few Dimarzio's I really liked (True and Red Velvets,  PAF's, and an old Dual Sound from the late 70's - I know not all their products are liked, but I've enjoyed all of the above). For now I think I'll put my money towards something homegrown - I already have some Oil City pickups, so that will probably be where I'll start.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14287
    tFB Trader
    Not sure if it is possible to trace the old distributor - Steve Wright and lives in Cornwall or Devon - I saw him recently at a guitar show and I know he has plenty of stock he wants to move on - Don't know finer details but worth investigating as an option