Always wanting the opposite of what you have?

What's Hot
Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
In out, in out, in... You get the picture.

I seem to change from wanting my guitars out, on walls, on stands etc, to all away in a nice cabinet or such, and whenever I have them one way, eventually I feel like changing to the other way.

Is this normal?

Not too long ago I built a nice cabinet to sit half a dozen guitars in, but now I'm considering taking them out and going back to wall hanging.

What do you do personally and why? Is dusting a dozen guitars all on wall hangers monotonous? Does having them "put away" preventing them from being played?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited March 2018
    Mine are on the wall but I dust them once a week and I restring them and clean them once a month.
    If they're put away I feel really low, they're art to me and I only have a small bedsit so the guitar wall is the dominant feature in my room.

I do however ALWAYS keep gnashing my teeth about a floor rack and how it *might* be better, so yeah I totally get you but so far the wall hangers haven't let me down and I can't imagine not having the 4 guitars there.

Bridgehouse is building me a Metal Tele this summer. It's done, he just needs parts from me so what I could do is get a 3-way floor rack and put it there as well as the wall hanging 4 that I have...
    Then I'll need two more guitars to make it look neat and tidy!

Yeah, I reckon both are best.

I think you should fill the nice cabinet you made AND have them hanging on the wall.
    Essentially your problem is that you don't have enough guitars.

QED.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14284
    tFB Trader
    I always have at least one out and instantly accessible - On a wall hangar - That way I can grab and play it even if I only have 5-10 mins to kill - Sometimes starts out as 5-10 mins and an hour later I'm still playing - if I have to go upstairs, get it out of the case etc etc then clean and put it away it somehow limits me - Later option is fine if I know I have a spare hour or so to want/need to play

I prefer the instant access option - Might be a track on the radio/CD player I want to play along with - Or a lick in a guitar mag I want to try out, or even the desire to find something specific on youtube, inc a lesson and this way I know I have a guitar nearby
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    Mine all stay in their cases when not in use.

I do keep one case easily accessible so I can get it out for a quick strum.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2444
    I can see only one option. Have enough guitars to have hanging and in a rack on the floor. You can then rotate them around the room as you like. ;-)

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    I have all 12 out at the minute, 10 on wall hangars and 2 on stands.

Had it set up as a "wall of Paul" for a while in my living room...

https://s26.postimg.org/v767nxwpl/20170904_201057.jpg

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I had a ten year period where I had nowhere to stand or hang them so one lived in an easily accessible case, the rest were scattered here there and everywhere. 2 years ago we moved and my wife bought me a 6 bay floor rack which has been the best thing ever as it takes up a minimal amount of space.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Jack_ said:
    In out, in out, in... 
    Hmmnn .... where did my sex manual go?
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Always at least one on a rack, four in there at the moment. The rest in cases in a cupboard.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    All hung on the wall. Every guitar dusted once a decade whether they need it or not. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    I have way too many guitars. I wish I had only one guitar.... so I could buy more guitars!

The 'good' guitars are in cases, whereas the dreky guitars are out and get played.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    'Hokey Cokey Syndrome'
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3493
    I have too many now, I need to sell a couple, trying to find a right guitar has led to a small accumulation of wrong guitars! They are always out on stands.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    robgilmo said:
    I have too many now, I need to sell a couple, trying to find a right guitar has led to a small accumulation of wrong guitars! They are always out on stands.
    Ebb and flow.
    Until this year it's always been the same for me too.

My GAS now is very specific and will take years to see happen but what I have is 4 keepers which I'm stupidly happy with so future adventures can wait for their time.

I spent a fortune getting here but I learned a lot on the way.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    seems you not put them all into secured storage yet - why not try that next?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    In cases, on the floor, under the table hosting the recording equipment, stacked up against the wall behind the table with the mixing desk on it. Jazzbox lying on its case which is on the floor in the lounge. No wall space - for a cupboard or to hang them. I think my ideal would be cupboards capable of holding guitars in their cases, with a 5-space rack for the instruments currently in use.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I only have two, so they're on the wall out of the way of small children. 
    A dozen guitars is a LOT! I'm not surprised you're struggling with storage. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Mine live in thier cases all the time but very accessable. It saves having to case them all up every week to rehearse or gig. But I can play any one whenever I like (one at a time) or grab the case(s) and head out the door. Loading gear out is a big enough faff without having to sort guitars into cases first.