axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
ta daaaaaaa!

11reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    KLF Signature model?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72598
    That's a real Les Paul Studio too, by the look of it. What possesses some people?! It looks like it's caught some awful disfiguring disease from the Middle Ages.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    ICBM said:
    That's a real Les Paul Studio too, by the look of it. What possesses some people?! It looks like it's caught some awful disfiguring disease from the Middle Ages.
    Les Palsy

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

55reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1357
    I can see why you would think the best use for it would be an ironing board, but surely it would've easier to use the back. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10454
    I was in Anderton's yesterday idly looking at the relic'ed Strat guitars with chunks gouged out of them  while my mate tried a Gibson and I really don't get it .... Looking at my own nearly 40 year old Strat there's paint missing, been worn away by friction but it's smooth transition from paint into bare wood, not big scabs of paint missing like the so called relics 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    "relicing" always has been, is, and always will be a damnfool stupid idea
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6162
    That's not relicing, it's more like wood rot. :s
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Looks like a cow
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8796
    Think I saw that on rotten.com
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Maybe he's using a blowtorch instead of a pick?  Or...., his picking was so fast it was ......

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• It’s the long lost one hundred and second Dalmatian 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27218
    Nah. It's fine, because it's optional. And certainly better than blue finishes. 

A good worn-in-feeling neck is a wonderful thing.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794

Almost anything is better than a blue finish. With the possible exception of relic ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16776
    Danny1969 said:
    I was in Anderton's yesterday idly looking at the relic'ed Strat guitars with chunks gouged out of them  while my mate tried a Gibson and I really don't get it .... Looking at my own nearly 40 year old Strat there's paint missing, been worn away by friction but it's smooth transition from paint into bare wood, not big scabs of paint missing like the so called relics 

I  quite often see comments about certain types of wear lacking authenticity.  Although contrary to your point its often a criticism of the beltsander look where the finish is worn away rather than chipped through.

The truth is , as ever, more complicated.   Finishes can wear through, and they can chip.  Both styles of wear can be found in vintage originals.

A big variable often ignored is finish type/process.   Goldtop wear is noticeably different to bursts.  Fenders customer colours seem to age differently to the simpler finishes.  The types of fillers and sealers used seems to have an impact too.  A fullerplast strat will age very differently to an unfilled one.

After that, it can also be down to the wood underneath and the wear the guitar is subjected to. Belt, buckles, watched and other jewellery will wear a guitar differently to a nice soft jumper.   Personal biology and hygiene will also have an impact

Finally, once you have sections of raw wood its important to consider how moisture will affect finish adherence near the worn edge.   Or once you have a chip, how will it wear after that.

If in doubt - look at some vintage examples of the type of finish you are interested in   You will see all kinds of wear... none of which look anything like the guitar in the OP

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7132

Almost anything is better than a blue finish. With the possible exception of relic ;)

ah sonic blue though . . .

the connoisseurs choice
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    That's not relic, it's the new 2018 Palomino 11 top. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3404

It's not blue, it's gold, or maybe off white
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I agree, it stops me buying a guitar.

The Fender Flea Jazz Bass would be so nice and I would immediately buy one if it came non-relicced
  • cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    do you know, i thought i was alone in not 'getting' relicing. the idea of taking something brand new and deliberately making it look worn/old and knackered. if i went to collect a new audi and it had rust, a few dings, and a cracked screen , and they told me it was 'reliced' ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom