Open Mic free-for-all... tell me your stories of starting out

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I get called up to play, there's another guitarist already up there who's been round the block a few times, he turns round and says medium-tempo 8-bar in D. Suits me I say, but it sounds all wrong. Turns out the bastard is playing a 12-bar in A.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    ijonty said:
    Here it is. Sonnet, and Ice Ice Baby: https://www.facebook.com/newmusiclondon/videos/615422568790772/ Plenty of room for improvement, but you've got to start somewhere, right?
    Are you playing straight into the PA?...maybe use a pedal or a vocalist type FX thing to get some reverb and a bit of delay on the vocal and guitar doesn't look like the venue are doing much to help your cause....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    spark240 said:
    ijonty said:
    Here it is. Sonnet, and Ice Ice Baby: https://www.facebook.com/newmusiclondon/videos/615422568790772/ Plenty of room for improvement, but you've got to start somewhere, right?
    Are you playing straight into the PA?...maybe use a pedal or a vocalist type FX thing to get some reverb and a bit of delay on the vocal and guitar doesn't look like the venue are doing much to help your cause....
    I didn't really turn up with any kit at all, and the organiser had to get his electro-acoustic out of his car (I only brought an acoustic). You're right, I think in future, I'd get more involved by bringing my pedals and vocal pedal, but for this one, the challenge was just to get up there in the first place!

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    did our first as a "band" last week, I'd only ever played for friends before. 3 rock standards, 10 people singing along, 90 ignoring it, all to be expected. we rushed it I think, that's inexperience. let's call the standard "tolerable" but the crowd's on your side and it's fun. whether the band will last I don't know, we seem determined to implement every rock cliché in the book, including personal differences after a single 10 minute performance. que sera.

but it was a laugh, I'm up for more. taking it seriously would be the biggest mistake.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Off out to give it another go - What could go wrong :)
    Nikc said:
    Off out to give it another go - What could go wrong :)
    Good luck!

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
    It went ok, different pub and people so out of yet another comfort zone but all was goodish. The evening ended with 8 or so of us having a jam across some three chord wonders - that was a fun :)
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited April 2018
    I've been going infrequently to jams near me for years, ran by the same group of people and although I'm right down the pecking order, the organiser picks me to play guitar or bass on something we played when we were in a band in the 90s.

There's another jam, walking distance from my house, ran by different people.  I keep meaning to play there but they play different songs, I always get there after the list's full and I don't know anybody to jump in with.  Last night was a miserable wet Monday and it was less busy.  I didn't play, but chatted to the organiser at the end and said I could play guitar or bass.  He said I should have told him, because the week before he played bass for the whole two hours, as they were all guitarists. I'm going back in a fortnight and will remind him.
    Did it again - almost like i've got the bug :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nikc said:
    Nice one. So how many have you done now? Getting used to it? I did one with my full band the other week which was great. Messed up a few times (and some drunk bastard kicked out the bassist's cable at one point), but really enjoyed it. What songs are you playing?

ijonty said:
    Nikc said:
    Nice one. So how many have you done now? Getting used to it? I did one with my full band the other week which was great. Messed up a few times (and some drunk bastard kicked out the bassist's cable at one point), but really enjoyed it. What songs are you playing?
    Ive done three solo now, I must be getting a bit used to it I keep going up :) 
    So far i've played different songs, some REM, David Grey a little CCR, I played A team on Wednesday which I was quietly pleased with. 
    Good to hear you're still stepping up - a band with you must be cool ;)

Nikc said:
    ijonty said:
    Nikc said:
    Ive done three solo now, I must be getting a bit used to it I keep going up :) 
    So far i've played different songs, some REM, David Grey a little CCR, I played A team on Wednesday which I was quietly pleased with. 
    Good to hear you're still stepping up - a band with you must be cool ;)

Well done. Band was great, it was actually our first performance, so a good way to start off our live career!

and yet another under my belt - i went with songs i'd played before, looking for a confidence boost, which worked out pretty well :)
    Well done. How are you finding the vocals? Getting more comfortable?

slowly but surely building confidence and getting better at using the mic :)
    An again - felt far more comfortable, got up twice and played slow dancing in a burning room to finish off - and it wasn't too bad at all :)
    Great. Just you and the guitar, or any kind of backing?

One man alone with just his guitar ;)
    I definitely felt more comfortable might even claim to be enjoying it