On a Britpop trip...

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• Is that 'post' Brit pop then?...... It can't be far off.... I mean there was no Altmont - unless we count Knebworth....

Knebworth is probably a good high water mark for the whole thing. 1997 had a bunch of stuff that was a definite turn away from Britpop- Blur's self-titled album, Spiritualized's Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space, the Roni Size and Reprazent album, Dig Your Own Hole, plus of course OK Computer, which was a real sea change in the sound of British rock.

I remember 1997 being a really good year for music- Britpop was clearly past its best, and rock music was going in some interesting (and not so interesting) directions. Nu-Metal, Post Rock, Ska-punk, American Alternative Rock that wasn't grunge, British rock that wasn't Britpop, Electronica (including, IMO, being the year electronic music and "real" instruments met and made beautiful music) the "overgrounding" of drum & bass...

Actually, a lot of that stuff ended up being shite, but for a glorious moment there it was all so promising...
    So much good music - the 90's were fertile times - Ladies and Gentleman is a stone cold classic - Dig your own hole is more probably the chemicals best album? Also Massive attack and Portishead.....

I also have to agree with the merging of real instruments and electronic music  - I didn't really got involved in Nu Metal, ska punk etc....

When were you born Bob?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    edited March 2018

When were you born Bob?
    It's rude to ask a lady.

(1979. I turned 18 in the summer of '97)

I didn't go in much for nu-metal or ska-punk either- I had a Korn album around that time, and it was great for a minute but it got really old, really fast. By the millennium I was pretty much convinced that rock music had shit out forever.

Typical student wanker. Although I can still sort of see my point, looking back.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• When were you born Bob?
    It's rude to ask a lady.

I didn't go in much for nu-metal or ska-punk either- I had a Korn album around that time, and it was great for a minute but it got really old, really fast. By the millennium I was pretty much convinced that rock music had shit out forever.

Typical student wanker. Although I can still sort of see my point, looking back.
    Ditto. 79 as well. I think you had a fair point. I lost interest in 'guitar' music for years by the end of the 90's.  
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited March 2018
    Babylon Zoo anyone? Although not strictly Brit Pop, this album contains a few stylistic elements of the genre in places, albeit in a more psychedelic form. These guys are commonly labelled one hit wonders but the album has a few decent numbers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKLWXkeehl8
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158

When were you born Bob?
    It's rude to ask a lady.

Ditto. 79 as well. I think you had a fair point. I lost interest in 'guitar' music for years by the end of the 90's.  
    What brought you back? I got completely blown away by At The Drive In's Relationship Of Command - the sheer energy and craziness of the playing helped me overlook the fact that none of the lyrics made any sense. 

To be honest, I still haven't found much British guitar music worth getting excited about since the 90s.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• When were you born Bob?
    It's rude to ask a lady.

What brought you back? I got completely blown away by At The Drive In's Relationship Of Command - the sheer energy and craziness of the playing helped me overlook the fact that none of the lyrics made any sense. 

To be honest, I still haven't found much British guitar music worth getting excited about since the 90s.
    I've never been excited by guitar music again. I went from Britpop into electronic music then back through that to hip hop, disco, R&B, Soul, funk, Reggae, Ska, Dub, Blues and its derivatives - rock and country etc.  There continue to be new guitar based records that I enjoy (I've liked Pond, Tame Impala, Wilco, MGMT, Kasabian and NG's solo stuff) but I've enjoyed learning to play in different styles.  
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Britpop at the BBC on BBC4 ( and presumably will be on iPlayer). Graham Coxon abusing a flanger. Drummer of Suoergrass looked 12. Who were Powder?* 
    Enjoying it a lot more now than I did at the time and there’s a strong sense that Oasis weren’t Britpop at all ( and according to the programme didn’t see themselves as such anyway) in the sense that it was the U.K. response to grunge whereas they were straight throwbacks. 

No OCS though BBC?  :anguished: 

* model Daisy Lowe’s mum on vocals. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    James dean Bradfield is one the uk’s most under-rated players of all time. 

Suede were also a fantastic band
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    Dodgy have been mentioned a few times. My favourite of theirs was - In A Room, sounds like a lost Who track. Fantastic Keith Moonesque drumming.

https://youtu.be/ofhpVpNuc_k
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    exocet said:
    Dodgy have been mentioned a few times. My favourite of theirs was - In A Room, sounds like a lost Who track. Fantastic Keith Moonesque drumming.

https://youtu.be/ofhpVpNuc_k
    Superb song. The few radio stations who play Dodgy these days tend to forget about everything else bar Good Enough though...
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1797
    I've just got tickets for Ocean Colour Scene being supported by The Coral, The Bluetones and Dodgy playing at the Don Valley Bowl in Sheffield in August. Should be a good do
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Slightly off topic but i crack up anytime I hear that version of 'dancing in the moonlight. It reminds me of the end of the Chris Morris film '3 lions'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    gusman2x said:
    James dean Bradfield is one the uk’s most under-rated players of all time. 

Suede were also a fantastic band
    Two correct statements :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    Slightly off topic but i crack up anytime I hear that version of 'dancing in the moonlight. It reminds me of the end of the Chris Morris film '3 lions'.
    "F**k mini babybel man!"
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffa said:
    I've just got tickets for Ocean Colour Scene being supported by The Coral, The Bluetones and Dodgy playing at the Don Valley Bowl in Sheffield in August. Should be a good do
    Thats a good little line up.....

I liked the Coral's most recent album. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    "F**k mini babybel man!"
    Rubber dinghy rapids bro!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom